COOSEFAN

Robert Dunn's "Skeeter Bull"

Howdy all, thanks again for all the great reply's on that first thread that was started! I do want to say right off that you'll notice I've added logos to the pic's, i hated doing it, but I unfortunately felt I had to. I've learned lately that there are individuals in my profession who have no problem with taking credit for something they had nothing to do with, hopefully it'll be a little harder for them to do that now with my logo on there ;) (I am not referring to Mossback, those cam pics are awesome boys!)

As you all know we had just come off the hunt with Clark Guy and seemed like we had only been home for a few days before we got a call from Jake Dunn. Jake is the son of Robert Dunn, who had won the 08-09 Super Raffle Elk tag! We could tell right away that this was going to be an incredible hunt with some incredibly nice folks! I do beleive that most everyone on this site would appreciate the type of people and the type of hunters that the Dunn family is. Robert had made it clear that he did not want to just show up and shoot, he wanted to work hard and experience all that he could before pulling the trigger! With this being the case, Robert and Jake showed up about 2 weeks early and went to work with us! It was awesome to see and hear the excitement in their voice each day when they would return with great video of awesome bulls. The weather turned bad and changed our game plans which broadened our search for the bulls we wanted. This is when we really valued having the Dunn's helping us and they did an outstanding job locating and videoing bulls! Closer to the hunt, Jake's cousin "Clint" and Jake's son "Caden" came up to help also and by that time we had the rest of my family there as well. Oh, and there was also this kid we found on the side of the road holding a sign that read..."Will glass for free if you feed me", I think his name is "Shard", but I called him "Froddo" because he's definitely got a fro! We picked him up, used and abused him, and he's actually still there...probably eating all our food.....but he earned it ;) Now with the hunt starting, the moon was full and the storms had dropped water in every last hole it could find which had the bulls scattered and difficult to locate. We had 3 bulls in a certain area that were all over the 400" mark and Robert, my brother Matt and I would hunt that area while everyone else went different directions to catch the bulls in case they had moved. Our plan A bull was still in the area but never showed while the rifle was on Roberts shoulder and everyone had great bulls to watch in the areas they had gone to during the first two days. On the second day of the hunt, Jake and Clint had located a giant bull and we headed over there to see which bull it was. Once we saw it we told Jake it was just a little 385" bull and that he really needed to step up his game :lol: :P so with that we left and headed back to our orginal spot again. The storms were rolling in but we grabbed our jackets and stuck it out. On that night Robert passed up a giant 390+ bull at close range along with several 370-380" type bulls! Right after taking his scope off the giant bull, a lightning bolt struck close by and the clouds opened up! They were about 1 mile from the truck and I was about 1 1/4 mile at that moment and we all had "lightning rods" in the form of tripods or rifle hanging off us, so you can imagine the speed in which we ran! It was definitely worth the risk and drenching we endured to see such amazing bulls, especially with a valid tag present! That night we returned to camp to find that Jake and Clint successfully stepped up their game and showed me up! :P They had videoed another bull shortly after the 385" bull and all they could tell us was that it was bigger!

th_skeeterbullonthehoof.jpg

Sure enough, the video showed a giant bull tearin' up a dry wallow in a clearing just before dark! They did an awesome job video taping and locating and my hat was off to them, they were quickly becoming elk hunters....and spoiled ones at that! :P Robert really liked the character of this bull and especially liked the fact that his boys had located the bull, but what I think sealed the deal was that as a tribute to their Grandad, they named the bull "Skeeter"! We all sat around and tried judging the bull because we knew his pedicle was twisted which is a common trait in this unit, and this tends to stunt the front tines. The bull had an incredible top end and with certain angles we could see he had very heavy mass, so it was determined this bull had enough up top to make up for what he lacked and it was indeed a 400" class bull! We now finally had a reason to pull out of our original plans and get a closer look at Skeeter. That next morning found my bro Matt, Robert, Jake, Clint and Caden in the same spot as the evening before. Right at first light I found a couple bulls including another giant 390-395" bull! We admired this beast as he made his way into the trees, but you could tell Robert had his mind on Skeeter! Shortly after that Jake and Clint again located Skeeter and he had already made it into the treeline but was still feeding. Robert, Matt and I dropped our packs and took off on a mile long stalk that put us within rifle range but too low to pick out the bull. We learned that he had bedded while on our stalk and I crawled around two different knobs trying to pick out his tines but with no luck, so we decided to back out and get on em' in the evening. Unfortunately Jake, Clint, and Caden had to leave that afternoon and that really had me thinking of a way to get Robert in on the bedded bull so Jake could be there, but it was just too risky. That evening Chrissy...I mean "Froddo", joined Matt, Robert and I and we headed back over there. It took seconds to reglass the bull and with an early cloud cover the bull was up feeding at around 4:30. There was one small strip of burnt trees on the ridge and Skeeter was feeding toward it, so Matt, Robert and I again dropped our packs and took off as fast as we could. With sweat pouring off us we finally made it within rifle range and the bull hadn't cleared the last tree yet before entering the burn. I had the camera set up and had Robert on the shooting forks but he was visibly excited and unable to hold steady so we made one last dash to get closer. Now well within range and all set up, Skeeter started to appear right where we had planned. I reassured Robert that there was no rush and he didn't need to shoot but if he wanted this bull, it was 400" class and he'll need to shoot now. Robert told me he wanted it and then waited for the perfect broadside shot.......BOOM......"smoked em'....hammer em' again"....BOOM.......HE'S DOWN!!!! Robert didn't even need the second shot, the first was perfect and the bull was goin down as the second shot connected! It was one of the more emotional times we've shared with a hunter and one that we'll never forget. Robert and his family treated us like family from the first day and we all quickly became friends. To witness such a person harvest an animal that had special meaning to him, really was an awesome experience for us all and the only thing that would have been better was to have his boys there too! Ol' Chrissy made record time hauling out 4 backpacks, running a mile back to the truck, and driving up to us just minutes after we finally put our hands on the beast. Just like the Clark bull, this bull is something you need to hold to appreciate. The mass throughout is amazing and the top end is world class! Robert had mentioned early on that he liked character bulls and this bull is definitely not lacking in the character department! The bull is just a giant and his body more resembled a moose, especially his head! he had 66 1/2 inches of mass, over 21 G3's, and pushin' 25" on his G4, but all the "roll" that he has makes him very unique and gorgeous!

I do want to thank the Dunn family for allowing us to be a part of such an awesome experience! I'm not just sayin' it to say it, but I sincerely feel that Robert is truly a deserving person of that tag and that bull. It was refreshing to hunt with folks who appreciated all the little things that most of us take for granted. Robert wanted that bull not because of what it would score, but becuase of what it meant to him and his family. I knew it as soon as they named him after their Grandad it was all over, that bull was going to hit the ground and the bull will probably be more admired and respected than any other bull taken that is comparable in score! I think this sport and this world could be a little better place if there were more people in it like the Dunn's ;) Congrats again Robert!

SkeeterBull13wm.jpg

SkeeterBull6wm.jpg

SkeeterBull2wm.jpg

SkeeterBull1wm.jpg

SkeeterBull11wm.jpg

SkeeterBull9wm.jpg

SWEET SWEET BULL!!!! Bet there were alotta high fives. That thing is a toad! Now i gotta find one for my hunt. Good Job folks.

WOW, WOW, and WOW.

Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. That bull does have some great character. Congrats to the Mullins and the Dunn teams.

Redman

Great story Jimbo!!! Great bull!! The pics, really show what a cool bull he is! Congrats again to Mr. Dunn!!!

Trophy world class bull for sure! The mass is incredible !!!

Great to have his family along for a once in a lifetime memory! Thanks for sharing! If I score the 2009-2010 super raffle tag (you're hired) ;)

AzP&Y

Doug

WOW! Awesome bull! Congratulations Mr. Dunn! Sounds like a good time was had by all up there. Good job everyone!

Jim, thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Ron

Major congrats Jim, to you and your family. My wife picked the worst 10 days to go back to Louisiana. If I did not have my 2 year old I would have come with Clint. Oh well I guess I just missed a huge chance of a lifetime thats all. I guess Frotto can tell me all about it.