Check this out. My dad is 5'5" can you imagine how big he is. :blink:

post-2094-1219329237_thumb.jpg

post-2094-1219329244.jpg

Shewwwweeeeeeeee! He may be a spike...... :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol: Get some pics of that honker!

I will be sitting 50 yards from that scrape this saturday huntin coues. Hopefully he will come in i will have my digital cam with me. ;)

Not to spoil your fun, but technically it's a rub, not a scrape. With saplings like that, elk ride them down and shred the bark with their antlers, so the vertical span says nothing about the size of the elk except that he had hard antlers and was heavy enough to bend under his weight. It could very well have been a relatively young bull...

Not to spoil your fun, but technically it's a rub, not a scrape. With saplings like that, elk ride them down and shred the bark with their antlers, so the vertical span says nothing about the size of the elk except that he had hard antlers and was heavy enough to bend under his weight. It could very well have been a relatively young bull...

Good for you. :lol: :lol: It will be a scrape in my books. Cool ;)

Good for you. :lol: :lol: It will be a scrape in my books. Cool ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to all of you that I called it a scrape. I know a scrape is where they paw the ground, oh wait would that be hoof the ground :blink: . Oh well, you all knew what i was talking about except for some, thankfully I had pictures huh ;) . Hey Amanda can we use the new word "scrape" in the new coues dictionary? Can you imagine if i would have said he hoofed the tree. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is some good times.

Sorry to all of you that I called it a scrape. I know a scrape is where they paw the ground, oh wait would that be hoof the ground :blink: . Oh well, you all knew what i was talking about except for some, thankfully I had pictures huh ;) . Hey Amanda can we use the new word "scrape" in the new coues dictionary? Can you imagine if i would have said he hoofed the tree. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is some good times.

I've called them scapes for years and just who came up with the stupid rub word? :lol: :lol:

TJ

BenBrown isn't just making that up. A scrape generally refers to the clearing of debris off the ground and scent marking there and a rub is on a tree caused by the elk or deer rubbing it's antlers against the tree. It's just a way to differentiate the two types of marks made during the breeding season. I imagine the terminology was made up by us egghead biologists.... :lol: It doesn't really matter what you call it as long as the people talking to you know what you are referring to.

Amanda

:o :lol: :lol:

TJ