Sign in to follow this  
greekassassin

Leaving deer attractant out

I have a basic question about deer attractant/salt lick. I have learned from reading this site that placing deer attract/salt lick is legal during the hunting off season but I was wondering if it is still legal to leave the attractant out during the season or do you have to remove it. Im not so much looking to use it during the hunt but am wondering if I would just have to remove it from an area that I placed it in. Thanks

Mark

Well, I don't think anybody really removes most of the attractants (salt) that get put out. The salt leaches into the ground and stays there a long time. I don't think there is a law that you have to remove it, but call AGFD and ask them.

Amanda

Well, I don't think anybody really removes most of the attractants (salt) that get put out. The salt leaches into the ground and stays there a long time. I don't think there is a law that you have to remove it, but call AGFD and ask them.

Amanda

game and fish didnt really help me out. i was transfered to 4 diferent people and not one of them knew the complete answer. the only thing i really gathered from them all is acording to one person youre not allowed to feed at your house, only in the wildeness you are hunting. another person told me it cannot attract bears and it cant be sometihng that can be pooped out and grow (anything with seeds i guess). feeders are allowed another guy told me. i dont know give a call and see what you can find out.

It is my understanding that you CAN bait, ie: salt, minerals, seed, plants, water even. But you CAN NOT bait when hunting bears, nor can you shoot a bear over a baited area. But it is perfectly fine to hunt deer, elk, turkeys, pigs, etc. over bait. Just not bears.

According to AZ Game and Fish 2008 Spring Hunting Regulations;

1. No person shall knowingly use any substance

as bait at any time to attract or take bear (R12-

4-304).

This means if you put out a substance, (ie; salt, corn, deer cocain) and a bear come into the substance, you are in violation of the law. The rule says at "any time", that means not just while hunting, but anytime.

So if you have a Game Camera on a Salt lick, or feeder and you get a picture of a bear on your attractant you are in violation, and you just provided proof (the picture) that you are guilty...

A G&F officer I ran into a year ago made it very clear to me, that if a bear came into a salt lick you could not shoot it.

4-304).

This means if you put out a substance, (ie; salt, corn, deer cocain) and a bear come into the substance, you are in violation of the law. The rule says at "any time", that means not just while hunting, but anytime.

So if you have a Game Camera on a Salt lick, or feeder and you get a picture of a bear on your attractant you are in violation, and you just provided proof (the picture) that you are guilty...

A G&F officer I ran into a year ago made it very clear to me, that if a bear came into a salt lick you could not shoot it.

So okay I have a salt lick out and I have a picture of a bear on it. That does not mean I put that salt lick there for the bear. I have my salt out for the Deer and if a bear happens to drop by that just means there is no way I can hunt bear in that area. You cannot stop the bear from comming in and if my camera just happens to get a photo of a bear on it that does NOT mean I was baiting the bear. This is one of those situations where you can acctually fight it and win. YOU CANNOT NOWINGLY BAIT FOR BEAR. I have some salt at my deer hole that a ton of deer come in at, last year not one bear came in and this year there are tons. So in essence my salt is only there for deer and elk. I CANNOT STOP BEAR FROM COMMING IN.

Thanks guys for your responses. Know I was wondering if you could let me know of which attractant has worked best for you. Also I was wondering if different species of deer hit an attractant differently (i.e. does a whitetail like something were as a mule deer doesn't or vice versa)? Thanks

Mark

Clay,

The rule in the regulations used to read "you may not knowingly hunt bears over bait" BUT the rule has now changed language to say;

4-304).

The new rule says nothing about hunting over bait, it specifically says you may not use any substance to attract or take a bear.

I am not saying I agree with the rule, but this is what G&F is saying in the regulations now.

Lance/Clay, I called and spoke to a couple officers about this before bow season and the general answer was you cant kill a bear over your salt. I have quite a few bears coming in and wanted to be sure before hand. I dont agree with the law and either did one of the officers, but you will get cited if you shoot a bear over your salt............Allen Taylor.........

I understand what you guys are saying but AZHUNTERWHOCARE says you can't have pictures. I know you can't hunt bear if there is salt around but if I get a picture of them I would love to see them try and get me for something I am not hunting bears where my salt is I am hunting deer if a bear walks in he is not fair game. IT DOES NOT SAY YOU CAN'T GET PICTURES. You just can't shot them.

4-304).

only if your intent is to get a picture of a bear...If your intent is not for bear and you happen to have a picture of a bear...what makes you guilty? You cannot control the bear nor his instinct to browse. Also if you have a substance/salt out and the bear gets shot on a trail away from the salt was his intent to be baited? Or was he just passing by? The only way to tell is to allow him to go to the bait.

4-304).

Is scent considered bait? Something that they can smell, but cannot ingest?

Seems to me, if they wanted to outlaw scents, they would have worded it - No person shall knowingly use any substance at any time to attract or take bear.

But, they inserted the words "as bait", into the rule.

:unsure:

4-304).

Is scent considered bait? Something that they can smell, but cannot ingest?

Seems to me, if they wanted to outlaw scents, they would have worded it - No person shall knowingly use any substance at any time to attract or take bear.

But, they inserted the words "as bait", into the rule.

:unsure:

i was waiting for this one! YES!!!! i honestly called and asked about three people, two of which were wardens and they both said yes because it is considered a substance, and intent to attract(bait) bear. the one lady said she thinks it shouldnt be considered because it vaporizes and does not stick around but law is law. who knows i would call because it seems like i can get six different asnwers on one question everytime i call and ask. good ole game and fish