Sign in to follow this  
wbyfireman

Steiner 20X80???????? Need Help!!

Has anyone had any experience with the Steiner 20X80 Marine Binos?? They are running about 1100$$ on just about every website. Do you think it is worth a try, or should I just keep savin up (what seems like forever for something else, Swarovski 15X56 perhaps :P ) I already ahve the Pentax DCF SP 12.5X50's. and cant say enough good things about them. Compared them to my buddies Swarovski's on last years coues hunt and the only real difference was very early moring or late at night. Anyways any thoughts about the BIG Steiners mentioned above? Do you think the extra power is worth it? Or do you think I will just be kicking myself for not waiting and getting the Swaro's

Mike got something right!

WAIT!!!

Even better, get Leica Duovids and only carry one pair of binos, yet have two different power settings.

I once had a hunter that gave me a tip that was a pair of Steiner 20x80's. Although it was a really nice gesture from him, I sold them almost immediately upon return from the hunt. The pair he gave me was brand new, so I doubt if it was an alignment or some other problem with that particular pair, but they gave me almost an instant massive headache, like you get when you drink a can of Big Red. I know there are a few on here that may like Steiners but I'm not one of em, I'd save your money like Casey and GH suggest. Good luck

Thanks for the replies!!! I think I might as well bite-the-bullet and save up for the Swarovski's. It just sucks because we are on a limited income and I feel selfish spending the 2K for binos. I will just keep telling myself that I deserve them; and some day when I save enough pennies and dimes to buy them I will never have to get any other binos for a long-long time.

Thanks again and stay safe

I already ahve the Pentax DCF SP 12.5X50's. and cant say enough good things about them. Compared them to my buddies Swarovski's on last years coues hunt and the only real difference was very early moring or late at night.

I also have a pair of the Pentax, 12.5 x 50 SP and also have a pair of 15's Swaros.... and not to step on your toes... there is no comparison between the Swaro's and the Pentax. I cannot even look through my Pentax anymore. Great glass but when you get used to looking threw the Swaro's you will feel the same. After all, early morning and late at night is the "prime time" to find those deer moving.

Get the Swaro's you will be happy.

Redman

Your choice Bud (good choice)

Just for your info,

I save all my change and try to buy everything with cash.

If something cost $1.01 I will give them $2.00 to get the change

I have been doing this for years and usually end up with 300.00 to400.00 a year.

I would use this money each year to come up on the Elk hunts when I lived in the Valley.

I have not taped this stash since 2003 when I went on my sheep hunt.

So lets say I saved $300.00 a year since 2003

300.00 X5 = 1500.00

Not bad for taking another dollar out of your pocket instead of a penny.

And we as merchants will make about 6 to14% more so we do not have to raise

our prices

Cash People Cash (checks work also)

I fished on a friend's boat out of San Diego last summer for marlin. They had 2 20x80 Steiners with the vibration reduction feature. I could not believe how ordinary they were. I have looked through Bushnells, Pentax, etc. that sold for less than $200 that were far sharper with less color distortion. I definitely would not spend $1,100 on one.

I have a pair of 20x60 Pentax. Cost about $260. I think people would be surprised at their quality.

Again, I know it boils down to personal preference, but purchase price should not be a basis for perceived quality.

I bought a pair of the Steiner 25x80 observers on Sportsmans Guide several years ago, didnt like them at all, sold them on here very cheap. At that high magnification everything is distorted, heat waves during the day look like ocean waves, and each diopter focuses individually, also the eyecups are oval shaped which is nice because it keeps the light out on the side of your eyes but each time you focus the diopter you have to adjust the eyecup again. I bought the Minox and havent regretted it. On the positive side, Sportsmans Guide was great to deal with and when my brother knocked the tripod over a ledge and smashed the objective lense they replaced them for free.

about 8 years ago I bought the Steiners thinking I was saving money, and they were very heavy and no where near as good as some other brands............If you really need to save money, there are some bino's like minox that are pretty good, but if you can hold out and save, maybe look for used ones............Swarovski's are hard to beat..........Allen Taylor.............

I bought those 25's from Griz..... Yes, they were a great deal!

Very good for looking at the moon at night, but too heavy for hauling around in the hills. I did use them glassing off the road from time to time, but found myself going to my Leica 12X50s more often.

Ended up selling them on Fleabay for a little more than I paid...

Like the general consensus here, 1100 is way too much for those Binos. With that kind of dough I woudl think you could get better glass......