Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Close but no cigar...

Went out with Casey this morning to chase a group of bucks we found last week. We quickly found the group shortly after sunrise. The group had changed a bit by dropping a small 3x3 but traded up for a really nice 3x3. We debated if it was the small 3x3 with a weeks more growth but it would have had to have added 10-15 inches in just a week so we decided it was a new one. Casey put a stock on them (I will let him tell the story) and I took some video and Pics while he did that. Here are a few of the better ones. The video is a little shaky I need to get some kind of adapter. What do you think he will score?

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/sco...eer82908080.flv

post-1361-1220132989_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1220133010_thumb.jpg

Wow nice buck, I would say about 95 on the top picture, but i may be way off!!!

"Guards" as we called him ALMOST got a taste of steel/carbon today..

Stalk went like this:

Larry picked up the big boy, and one of the smal 3x's 15 minutes into glassing in the morning (didnt even give me a chance to find any deer of my own!) While we were watching the big boy, I glassed up Guards and his buddy. Every Mesquite tree they would walk by we were wishing them to bed. Miracously, they bedded (all of them) in close proximity to just about the best tree they could of. Off I went to get repostioned so that we could plan a stalk. I called Larry when I was set on the spot and had the bucks relocated. There was 2 fawns that kept messing with the bucks, and we knew that was not good because we could not locate the doe! Once he got to me, we devised a plan. After a VERY big Mojave rattlesnake (still alive) changed my mind about needing to use the restroom I was off. I came over the ridge just about where I wanted to be. I got to 120 yards of all the bucks and was nailed as one of the smal 3x's was looking directly in my direction. I ended up getting to a comfortable 80 yards and decided if I was given a clean shot, I was going to take it. Well, when I got next to my 80 yard marking juniper, the doe that couldnt be seen went running down the hill. This actually worked to my advantage because all of the bucks stood up and Guards offered a perfect, standing broadside shot. I clipped into my string, started to settle my feet and pull back... About 2 inches into drawing, while I was setting my feet I rolled a 3" rock down the hill and that was too much for them... I saw nothing but horns and tail from there!

So close! That sure was a lot of fun though!

80 yards, why stop there go turn your bow into a rifle and go 100 yards. Shooting deer at these ranges are giving us hunter's (ie bow hunters for sure ) a bad name. Hats off to you for not shooting. Besides your being shown up by a lady that got in very close range to kill her 117! How about this today, I stopped to help a hunter out this morning (Quad would not start) and after talking to him the hunter explained that he shot and wounded a buck that had jump his string. I ask why he's not still looking for the deer and he explained that he looking for a long long 1hr! (NICE ) I'm just saying we owe it to the animails we hunt to kill'm as quick as possible! Beside a bow hunters motto "is up close and personal"

Great story and pics Larry and Casey, thanks for sharing them with us. I say shoot at whatever distance you are personally comfortable with.....I for one am comfortable with an 80 yard shot. Better luck next time.

Phil

In my ally at my house, I cut the weeds down out to 70 yards and I fling arrows semi often out there. I have practiced to 90. 80 is not my preferred shot, but there was no wind, the deer was 100% broadside with NOTHING between him and I and we were on the same level. If I had the shot, I would have taken it and not hesitated.

In ideal conditions....I will go as far as 70....at home I can hit a 6" group with 4 arrows with Broadheads..you must practice with your hunting heads at these distances also. BUT you must have solid foundation, broadside animal and no wind......Todays bows have really made these shots ethical if you practice practice practice. I have passed on "hail marys" because the animal / conditions weren't there. I won't release if I don't feel confidant of a solid hit........I hit a cow ELK poorly once...high and back from 35 yds out. She was walking when I shot. Big Mistake never to be repeated! Sickest feeling in the world. Turned out great with the help of the whole camp we found her within 2 - 3 hours about 200 yards off. She was great eating. We do owe these animals quick kills...I can't believe that other guy looking for an hour.....

Looking for an hour, that's a f$%#ing joke!!

In my personal opinion, if I wound an animal & can't find it, my hunt is over!

Thank god it hasn't come to that yet, but I know that is how I feel.

casey 80 yards with a bow.....what if he takes a small step your screwed. 80 yards with a bow gives that buck about a second or more to move a little then your screwed. gut shot. I know cause I have been there and this deer was a lot closer than that.

Getting within 80 yards of three Coues in that terrain was a great job. He probably worked his butt off to get that close. It is likely that those who judge Casey's failed attempt at an 80 yarder, don't spot and stalk in steep desert mountains and if you did you probably would of done the same thing. Really how close should he get 20, 40 60 what is the rule? Each type of bow hunting takes a different skill set. This type usually requires taking longer shots.

Casey, if the deer were looking at you it was not a "perfect shot", but a harmless one with broken broadhead and arrow, but hey i have learned the hard way with a tackle box full of broken broadheads. If the deer were looking away it may of been better to just freeze-hide and they may settle down. Sometimes once deer stand up they do their stare routine for a long time( 1/2 hour) then they will forget why they stood up in the first place and start feeding. With three there is a good chance one would feed closer to you. Anyways keep it up, it will fall in place one time.

Good luck,

Bob