Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Resident/Non-Resident status question for a hunt

Asking for a friend.......Hunter is a resident (all his life). Hunter draws a big game tag. Hunter moves out of state 2 months before hunt starts. Hunter comes back for the hunt. What if Hunter gets new drivers license and plates from his new State for his vehicle? Will this draw concern from a WM if checked in the field during hunt. I know if Hunter calls G&F to ask he may get 3 different answers if he talks to 3 different people. Has anybody got any real life experiences for this situation? I'm thinking Hunter should wait til after the hunt to get new drivers license and plates. Or is this not an issue? Remember I'm asking for a friend.......

If I  was a resident and moved before the hunt would defiantly wait to change registration and license

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I would just take my old AZ drivers license with me on the hunt to back up my story if I was stopped.

• Like 1

I hope your "friend" bought a lifetime az license before he moved out of state and then I would do what AZAV8ER said.  Report back if any problems arose during hunt.

According to the definition he would need to be able to demonstrate that he was living in AZ for 6 months immediately preceding the date of application.

“Resident” means a person who is do- miciled (claims the state of Arizona as their true, fixed and permanent home and principal residence) in this state for six months immediately preceding the date of application for a license, permit, tag, or stamp and does not claim residency for any purpose in another state or jurisdic- tion;

• Like 1

Ok he's good then. He was a resident when he bought his license and applied and was drawn. I'll let him know. Thanks for the responses.

One of the keys here is that he can't be a resident of two states.  Whatever state he moved to - he better not have a resident license or he is in violation in one of the two states. Likely if that state has a 6 month rule like AZ though he can't yet be considered a resident, therefore he must still be a resident of AZ.

Hope that makes sense. Any documentation showing the transition is solid proof and easily explainable. A non resident license in the state he is now living in would shut that conversation down quickly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

One of the keys here is that he can't be a resident of two states.  Whatever state he moved to - he better not have a resident license or he is in violation in one of the two states. Likely if that state has a 6 month rule like AZ though he can't yet be considered a resident, therefore he must still be a resident of AZ.

Hope that makes sense. Any documentation showing the transition is solid proof and easily explainable. A non resident license in the state he is now living in would shut that conversation down quickly.

And if it became a question with a WM, they would likely check the other state for license status. That saved me one time.

• Like 2