varnco

7E - Scouting - Sept 10th Archery

Went up again to 7E this weekend, and like seeing tanks with water and the greenery is amazing... food everywhere.

Saw quite a few deer, including a couple of bucks (since it's OTC), but nothing taken.

Scouted around the N side of the main mountain there, and saw sign, but didn't see any elk, and my 2 evil cameras only got deer on them. Did about 5 miles on boots, and was in the 8400 - 8700 elevation area

Scouted around on the S side of the mountain, general area, N of 522/Shultz Tank, up to 9400 feet, and again, found elk sign, but no elk (cows or bull). Did about 5 miles on boot and was in the 8400 - 9400 elevation area.

Came across a few OTC deer hunters, one saw 1 buck, said last year, there were many more. Maybe the drought earlier this year has kept some of the animals away?

Any tips are appreciated... or just keep doing what I'm doing?

thanks!

With all the water and feed im guessing the animals are all pretty spread out and dont have to move around very much to fill their bellies and get a drink. I have had the archery cow hunt in there a few times but that was 10+ years ago. We were always on Elk on the north and east side of the mountain. Always had the best luck around the Nordic Center off 180 and the Herchdeffer (sp) Hills. also had good bugling near the Bear Jaw trailhead.  We were also in elk near the campgorund on the south side of the peaks by the gas lines, forget what its called. Some other areas to check out would be the flatter transition areas north of Kendrick park and around the Bismark Lake trailhead on the east side of the peaks. Keep hiking and getting familar with the lay of the land. When they start talking you will have the knowledge from your scounting hikes to make it happen. good luck

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, PineCountryHunter said:

With all the water and feed im guessing the animals are all pretty spread out and dont have to move around very much to fill their bellies and get a drink. I have had the archery cow hunt in there a few times but that was 10+ years ago. We were always on Elk on the north and east side of the mountain. Always had the best luck around the Nordic Center off 180 and the Herchdeffer (sp) Hills. also had good bugling near the Bear Jaw trailhead.  We were also in elk near the campgorund on the south side of the peaks by the gas lines, forget what its called. Some other areas to check out would be the flatter transition areas north of Kendrick park and around the Bismark Lake trailhead on the east side of the peaks. Keep hiking and getting familar with the lay of the land. When they start talking you will have the knowledge from your scounting hikes to make it happen. good luck

Thanks.. there is food everywhere.. in trees, in prairies... everywhere. Water is available in most areas as well, if there's a tank nearby. All good things, but then again, that means they can be almost anywhere.

I am going to assume they are going to be higher/ cooler than the lower elevations at this time of year and in September, as it's still relatively hot in Flagstaff (High 82* this week).

I am hoping they're talking at the beginning of the hunt, but I know they're more likely to be talking towards the end of the hunt. 

Heading up again this weekend and see if there's anything on a few cameras I put up.

I was in the process of writing out places for you to check out and then I realized it was all 7w!

Anyways 7e is pretty solid, and has good elk numbers. I’d stay closer to the 180 rather than go Far East on the unit. But that’s just because I’m more familiar with that area. Elk are all around the area. A lot of pressure through archery deer and early elk. But seems to be more road hunters than anything. 

Anyways...check our white horse area and deadman wash area Or north of there. 

Also like someone mentioned early around the Nordic camp area off the 180. 
Just keep doing what your doing, Elk are all in there. Put Time in the field and you’ll find them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jfos said:

I was in the process of writing out places for you to check out and then I realized it was all 7w!

Anyways 7e is pretty solid, and has good elk numbers. I’d stay closer to the 180 rather than go Far East on the unit. But that’s just because I’m more familiar with that area. Elk are all around the area. A lot of pressure through archery deer and early elk. But seems to be more road hunters than anything. 

Anyways...check our white horse area and deadman wash area Or north of there. 

Also like someone mentioned early around the Nordic camp area off the 180. 
Just keep doing what your doing, Elk are all in there. Put Time in the field and you’ll find them.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep at it!

On 9/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, jaymzth007 said:

I have this tag also maybe I'll see you up there week! 

Here any bugling? Nothing in the bearjaw/abineau canyon areas. Dead silent.

I was blasting doves at sundown last night at had a nice 6x6 walk into about 300 yards. Stood there and watched as I shot a few more times. I packed up and as I started to drive away I saw him walk down to the water. Away from the peaks out in the cedars. Lots of elk down there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nateNAU said:

I was blasting doves at sundown last night at had a nice 6x6 walk into about 300 yards. Stood there and watched as I shot a few more times. I packed up and as I started to drive away I saw him walk down to the water. Away from the peaks out in the cedars. Lots of elk down there.

Thanks! Went out to the flats and didn't hear any bugling, but missed a nice 5x5.

On 9/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, varnco said:

Here any bugling? Nothing in the bearjaw/abineau canyon areas. Dead silent.

Sorry just saw this. Bugling has been very very sparse, mostly early morning contact bugles, but not much else. I was able to get this guy yesterday morning cow calling, which called another cow in to me that he was chasing.

20210919_081156.jpg

• Like 21

Awesome bull especially for that unit. Congratulations.