Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

Great Weekend

Well I thought I would share my weekend here since it was a bowhunt....I got a new ground blind for father's day and finally had a weekend that I could go and try it out. I decided to take my 6 year old with me on his first "bowhunt" with dad.

I decided that I would take him where my dad took me when I first started hunting with him. We left Saturday afternoon and got to the mountains at about 5:30pm. I decided on a spot that I haven' hunted for probably 15years and planned on getting the blind set up Sat. evening and sitting in it Sunday morning. Once we start getting close to the area I was planning on setting up in I catch some movement in the trees and two coues take off. My son gets his first in the field experience and he is so excited.

Sunday morning we get up and make it to the blind, not as early as I want, but hey, its about letting him get a taste of it. We're sitting in the blind and after about 30 min I here, "Can we go now..." I convince him to sit a little longer, but we can only sit still and quiet for about another 30 min and we head back to camp. On the way we spot 4 Gould's jakes...he's always wanted to see a turkey and he spotted them.

Sunday afternoon, we head back to the blind and this time we bring his Leapster (educational video game thingy). We set the volume real low...but he still wants to hear the volume. We're sitting there nice and quiet and his Leapster makes a beaping noise and I hear the too familar "snort" from behind the blind. I turn slowly there's a deer (a doe) staring right at us. I point her out to him and we watch her graze away.

We didn't stay much longer after that, but he is hooked. I would have loved to have hunted longer, but it was great weekend for me and my other mission was accomplished.

Well I thought I would share my weekend here since it was a bowhunt....I got a new ground blind for father's day and finally had a weekend that I could go and try it out. I decided to take my 6 year old with me on his first "bowhunt" with dad.

I decided that I would take him where my dad took me when I first started hunting with him. We left Saturday afternoon and got to the mountains at about 5:30pm. I decided on a spot that I haven' hunted for probably 15years and planned on getting the blind set up Sat. evening and sitting in it Sunday morning. Once we start getting close to the area I was planning on setting up in I catch some movement in the trees and two coues take off. My son gets his first in the field experience and he is so excited.

Sunday morning we get up and make it to the blind, not as early as I want, but hey, its about letting him get a taste of it. We're sitting in the blind and after about 30 min I here, "Can we go now..." I convince him to sit a little longer, but we can only sit still and quiet for about another 30 min and we head back to camp. On the way we spot 4 Gould's jakes...he's always wanted to see a turkey and he spotted them.

Sunday afternoon, we head back to the blind and this time we bring his Leapster (educational video game thingy). We set the volume real low...but he still wants to hear the volume. We're sitting there nice and quiet and his Leapster makes a beaping noise and I hear the too familar "snort" from behind the blind. I turn slowly there's a deer (a doe) staring right at us. I point her out to him and we watch her graze away.

We didn't stay much longer after that, but he is hooked. I would have loved to have hunted longer, but it was great weekend for me and my other mission was accomplished.

It's a start and thanks for sharing. It only gets better!

TJ

That is great!! You are absolutly right in your approach!!! IMO..... Today so many of us are wrapped around scoring Big and forget the ways we were introduced to our sport.... a little at a time. It has to be fun for the kids..... then the patients will come! ;)

Too cool I can relate to taking them the first time, he's hooked I guarantee it. don't have any sons of my own but I had the honor of introducing all of my nephew's to hunting when they were young and they all haven't stopped, its a great feeling. hope you have lots of fun and memories.

Dodger2,

Sweet! I put Colton (11 yo) in a blind below my treestand yesterday. Nothing came in, but we had some fun, and he slept for two hours! Grong told me his snoring was scaring the deer, but it was really like a buck grunt. :lol:

post-166-1220890259_thumb.jpg

i always remember to bring lots of snacks, a quiet video game, math flash cards (u dont have to say the answers u can hold up fingers) and anything else they might need when I bring one of my daughters with me. Its also a great way for me to get some one on one time with them since they are twins.

Thanks for sharing.

I took my daughter and two of her friends and their dads out dove hunting Saturday and Sunday. Those kids had a blast. They were getting all of our birds and I got out the .410 and 22 for them to shoot. They were all between 4 and 5 so when they would shoot the .410 we would throw a dead bird up in the air when they shot and they thought they were laying the smack down on those birds. If you have not done it yet get those kids out there whether it is your kids or the neighbors they will remember those times forever.

fantastic job..........take the kids out, and when they are ready to go home or back to camp, listen to them. The hunt is about them having fun and enjoying it...............great job...............Allen..............

I took my 11 yr old son out Dove hunting Sunday. He got his first Dove with the .410 what a great day. Now if I could only get him to start cleaning what he takes, he didn’t want to clean it.

I told him he’s going to have to start as he has Unit 27 youth deer and Unit 1 youth cow tags next month. So hopefully he will get into the cleaning part soon. It's just part of hunting; the work starts after the fun and excitement of getting one down.