Sign in to follow this  
Edge

135 years ago today

This picture taken by C S Fly of Geronimo's last surrender Sept 4, 1886

Apache_chieff_Geronimo_(right)_and_his_warriors_in_1886.jpg.cf40dc3d73a5b580f67aa07eb5fc35c7.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

No, looks fascinating and my birthday is next week... 😜   Have you? 

I'd like to learn about Geronimo's interaction with the Yaquis in the Sonaran region where my ancestors on dad's side ranched and farmed.

I actually just finished that book. Got an itch after I finished reading killing crazy horse.  Good read and is literally seeing the events of his life from his words and very matter of fact. No embellishments. 

• Like 2

Yes I have read it and agree with jdown. It really is enlightening  dispels a lot of stories about him. It took me about 5 hours to read and it should be a part of American litterature and especially should be read by school kids in Arizona.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Anyone got a pic of C.S. Fly?

5b0c895b48185.image.jpg.afb715d577c4c517860634136ae13577.jpg

3 hours ago, Edge said:

5b0c895b48185.image.jpg.afb715d577c4c517860634136ae13577.jpg

I guess your pic is as good as any. Here is what True West said in Classic Gunfights Volume 2.

0904212215~2.jpg

Only two pictures of C S Fly are known to exist. The infamous shutterbug was camera shy. The article claims there are no photos of him, then posts one of two in existence.

This is an interesting account as well. Cover pic is from Fly. Cool stories of the Apache scouts hunting antelope, coues, and turkeys.

20210905_085437.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edge said:

Only two pictures of C S Fly are known to exist. The infamous shutterbug was camera shy. The article claims there are no photos of him, then posts one of two in existence.

The wording under the pic says that it is alledged to be CS. All I know that if I had a Gazillion dollars, I don't think that I would buy up those two pics of CS Fly, if they were for sale!

0905211228~2.jpg

52 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

The wording under the pic says that it is alledged to be CS. All I know that if I had a Gazillion dollars, I don't think that I would buy up those two pics of CS Fly, if they were for sale!

0905211228~2.jpg

Yeah I read it. I'm wondering if he didn't like his pic taken due to.his skin disease?

But the studio portrait I posted was 'allegedly' taken by his own wife Mollie.  Buy these pics, much better provenance...

https://www.tpt.org/antiques-roadshow/video/antiques-roadshow-appraisal-1886-cs-fly-photo-cards/

This article mentions the pic you posted.

https://www.eacourier.com/history/did-you-know-the-man-who-photographed-early-graham-county-c-s-fly/article_ffcb5e3e-635e-11e8-bf04-a76758513671.html

Don't know why he was camera shy. I wonder if he made more money from his pics, or from his boarding house? And if he had any other money making interest?

When living in safford working in morenci one of the guys was telling me that Geronimo was actually from soloman right east of safford there. Not sure if its true though.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

When living in safford working in morenci one of the guys was telling me that Geronimo was actually from soloman right east of safford there. Not sure if its true though.

He was born in Turkey Creek, NM.

• Like 1