Sign in to follow this  
Wagges

Hualapai Indians charge to access north end of Boquillas

My son was on a youth cow elk hunt in unit 10  on Oct. 2, as a helper. While traveling on the Western boundary, the paved road from Route 66 North to the Supai tribe, he was stopped twice on the paved road and told he had to pay a $50.00 access fee to access the BIG BOQUILLAS.  He is 18 and did not believe this to be a Indian road, so he said no and kept going.  I called G&F today in Kingman and they told me that in fact, this is a Indian road and they can charge whatever they want. I used to hunt there all the time before 3 million people moved here and made the tag extremely hard to get. G&F in their wisdom has not posted anything about this to let hunters be aware of the potential access charge, but they are completely aware its happening.  Just letting people know that this is going to happen again and you should be prepared. 

• Wow! 1

Traveled that road may times in  sept. Never was stopped to pay a fee. Sounds fishy to me. 

I have no reason to make that up.  My son talked to 2 other hunters who paid it and one of them said it wasn't like that during their archery elk hunt.  I am not in the habit of warning people about fictitious things, so why don't you give Game and Fish a call yourself and ask.  I posted it as I didn't want someone getting stopped and not be aware, or more importantly have the cash available to pay

5 minutes ago, idgaf said:

A two second Google search

Screenshot_20211014-171351_Google.thumb.jpg.e49821edef8454258425d03a19aecdcf.jpg

They were wanting a permit to drive on the PAVED road...  If you read your screen shot, that permit  is about non-paved road. 

• Like 3

Probably just extortion by non-LEO or not authorized personnel.  

If it would have been "mandatory", someone would have been cited if they said "no". 

• Like 3

That can’t be legit. Was it a marked vehicle that stopped them? I’ve spent a lot of time on the Hualapai and Supai. I also personally know several of the Game officers(tribe members) and Tribal police officers(not tribe members) from Kingman, I’ll try and contact someone today and ask. But it only costs $30 to trespass to go down to Diamond Creek on their dirt road. Passage on the paved supai road has always been free and I think has to be free since it is a highway. Wasn’t stopped during the rifle bull hunt at all. Maybe the person stopping them was actually trying to tell them/ask/inform that they have to pay the boquillas trespass fee to access the ranch but there was miscommunication?

• Like 1