NU2COUES

First time rifle tag

First time ever getting drawn for deer, got 31 in October! Any help to make it a successful and memorable hunt for me and my daughters would be awesome! Not asking for any secret spots or anything, just want to get pointed in the right direction with some knowledge for a newbie. Thanks in Advance to those who will help with me with this! 

I don't know that unit, or I would be happy to give some advise. Hopefully you get a starting point. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NU2COUES said:

First time ever getting drawn for deer, got 31 in October! Any help to make it a successful and memorable hunt for me and my daughters would be awesome! Not asking for any secret spots or anything, just want to get pointed in the right direction with some knowledge for a newbie. Thanks in Advance to those who will help with me with this! 

Take your kids out this weekend and do some driving around down there. Fort Grant road west off of 191. A few miles in and you’re in whitetail country. The hills both side of the road hold deer. Find a hill, hike to the top and start glassing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Go hunt. Make some memories. Maybe you will see a deer or two.

Thats the plan sir😎, if I run into a deer then that’s a bonus for the mems!

On 10/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Sky Island junkie said:

Take your kids out this weekend and do some driving around down there. Fort Grant road west off of 191. A few miles in and you’re in whitetail country. The hills both side of the road hold deer. Find a hill, hike to the top and start glassing. 

Thanks for the help! 

Well first do you know HOW to hunt them? Decent glass, tripod etc? You need to look up threads on how to glass. Then put it into action by going out and looking. Remember when glassing and tou find deer ask yourself how would i set up for a shot at this animal. Is it way to far for a shot? What are your shooting capabilities? Do you have good boots and gear? At this point focus on the how too, after that look at the links trphyhntr posted for places to start. Dont focus on big deer starting out. Kill a spike, fill a tag and build your confidence level.

• Like 2