Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

CONCERNS WITH COUESWHITETAIL.COM

Lately I have been concerned with some of the discussions on here. Everyone has got a right to express their opinion and we all have a right to disagree but there has been a few good members drop out of this site becauuse of a few remarks of a few members who just can't let it go . I'm talking about expressing your opinion and leaving it at that but NO some have to go on and on and can't respect opinions of others without carrying it on & on.

This is a great site and I would think all would agree with that and let's not loose it just because a few can't let up on a subject unless they get the last word in. It has started to worry me that maybe Amanda would pull the plug. Now don't get me wrong. This is just me venting. Let's hope that never happens since we have a really good thing going here.

I myself have had a pm sent to me, from a member, stating how they didn't like my post on my success in 22, and could not repeat it due to the language. It has gotten a little out of hand and I hope each of you will think how nice it has been for Amanda to have created this site and how much fun it has been. Not only is it a discussion forum but an educational site about the coues deer of our state.

Let's not forget what we got! Amanda has put alot of work into this and it is one of the finest sites on the web. We as adults have to remember this is a family site and we have to work together to keep it as she has entended it to be.

my $.02 worth. :)

TJ

oneshot, could you tell me about 36?!! :lol:

You guys are right, there is nothing cooler than have someone make you feel like a horses butt about something you have posted, but this is a site based on opinions and etc. I would hate to see someone leave because some of us are rotten jerks about how we respond. But hey, in any population of good people you are going to have some turds. Law of probability says so!! I have no issue with using my real name at all. Dont think it needs to come to that but whatever and yes Amanda has done a tremendous job with the site and I cant tell you how big the smile was on my face when I typed coues whitetail in my search engine and this site popped up! I still look forward to logging on(most of the time! :blink: ) But I just consider all threats here idle as well as name calling and etc. If you have to posture on the internet well sucks to be you essentially!! Some people are willing to dish it out but not willing to take it , these people may not be the best for the site, but there are many people who I respect that I feel were vilified by what they posted and inappropriately so. AG

I hear your sentiment tjhunt2, but I don't think I completely agree that it has gotten too far out of hand.

Last week around the campfire, Amanda, Chef and myself were discussing the topic of moderating on this board. When someone hits the 'report' button, I'm one of the ones (along with Amanda, Allen, and a couple of others...) who gets the notification. Frankly, there are a surprisingly low number of reported posts. Many of them are to report SPAM, etc... When I compare this message board to some of the others that I frequent, I'm continually impressed with the vibe that is present here. Generally a pretty cohesive atmosphere here. Sure there is the occasional flare-up, but in general it's pretty tame around here IMO....

That being said, I would encourage any & all to report anything you feel is inappropriate to post on this public forum. Private messages are kind of a different deal, but if anything gets too crazy there we would like to know about it as well.

S.

:)

Tj,

I here what you are saying and respect your concerns. I feel that the situations you are refering to stem from the fact that most people are very opinionated and "proprietary" of their piece of turf, wether that turf is opinion, knowledge or a hunting spot. I admit that I am very opinonated and passionate about what I believe in, as are many others, however, I try very hard not to be offensive or disrespectful to others, as I would not say anything on a website that I would not say to somone in person. It is too easy to use a keyboard in a negative way.

You are absolutely right about a couple of people leaving this site over a situation that went to far. One of those people, Outdoor Writer, is someone I admire and respect, not only for his accomplishments, but for his knowledge as well. I sent Tony an email and told him how I felt about it and asked him to come back over here. I hope someday he does.

A difference of opinon, or maybe having to get in the last word, should not escalate into hostility. I like a good healthy or heated debate and sharing opinions with others and finding out how people feel about various subjects as long as it remains clean. Maybe a new category can be created on this website where all of the questionable topics, arguments and or politically incorrect topics and discussions could be put or moved to??

You are right about the family website and keeping things in good moderation, I know myself and others can get a little carried away on some topics and maybe a crude joke now and then ;)

Alot of websites have what you call trolls. Guys that don't post much, but lurk in the shadows and only come out of hiding when the opportunity to bash someone presents itself, then they will disappear until the next time. This site has a few, but not as bad as some others.

As the old saying goes "It is not what you say, but how you say it."

Good Point you guys......I believe that there are some posts that get a little out of hand, but if I don't agree with them I just stop reading that thread for a while and come back and see if it has changed. TJ, I too have had the "e-finger" shook at me about 22......oooooo, shame shame, and have had PM's because a guy now has a complex(which now I am sure I will get another one). I will give up any info I have on any unit, I ain't scared to share what I know about anything, thats how someone learns. "Loose lips sink ships"....all I have to say is BS! Like Oneshot said "still have to have the skills to complete the task". If someone is lucky enough to get drawn for any unit and I have been there, I share what I got. Amanda, you have created a wonderful site, thank you very much. I have learned a lot here and appreciate all the help that I have received from all that shared. I know a little about a lot, so if there are any questions about units 1,2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 6A, 7, 9, 11, 19A, 22, 23,24A, 31, 32, 33 I would be more than happy to share any info I have on these units.

Keep the GOOD posts coming!

-Jeremy-

Just a question, no need for anybody to be offended, but, are we all getting a little "thin skinned"? Part of the reason you visit a site like this is to see what it's like. From there you determine if you would like to hang out and SHARE information. To simply "lurk" or on your first post ask where to hunt, isn't that a little bold? Again, I am simply playing the devil's advocate here.

Its not simply a matter of being "thin skinned", its more of an issue of trying to keep the disrespect and name calling, so to speak, to a minimum and not turn a good site into a "free for all" as found on a lot of other sites.

There is nothing wrong with lurking on a site to see if you want to join or add posts, but as I stated earlier, there are some people who jump all over others and then go away until the next time. Hang out on any site long enough and you will see what I mean.

I am a big fan of proffessional football. You should see what goes on in those forums, there is a so much name calling going on, you can't even post a logical remark without someone jumping down your throat, it is truly ridiculous at times.

The fact of the matter is that this website has always been one of the best and many of us are hoping that it does not turn into what other sites have become in regard to the quality thereof.

Opinion is exactly what it is, "opinion", neither fact nor fiction. A difference of opinion should not create hostility to the point where the name calling starts and or people start bashing each other simply because they don't like what the other person said, Agree to disagree and move on.

Everyone should remember that the good people of this site are like a"fraternity", a place where we can come and learn about hunting, share ideas, read peoples stories and share in our success and sometime failures. Being a member of any website is not a right, but a priviledge.

We are currently developing the technology that will allow a selected individual to send a severe electrical impulse through to an "offender's" keyboard. The technology is the easy part, what we are stuck on is who will decide which people will get the shock......................................................

Guest 300ultramag.
Good Point you guys......I believe that there are some posts that get a little out of hand, but if I don't agree with them I just stop reading that thread for a while and come back and see if it has changed. TJ, I too have had the "e-finger" shook at me about 22......oooooo, shame shame, and have had PM's because a guy now has a complex(which now I am sure I will get another one). I will give up any info I have on any unit, I ain't scared to share what I know about anything, thats how someone learns. "Loose lips sink ships"....all I have to say is BS! Like Oneshot said "still have to have the skills to complete the task". If someone is lucky enough to get drawn for any unit and I have been there, I share what I got. Amanda, you have created a wonderful site, thank you very much. I have learned a lot here and appreciate all the help that I have received from all that shared. I know a little about a lot, so if there are any questions about units 1,2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 6A, 7, 9, 11, 19A, 22, 23,24A, 31, 32, 33 I would be more than happy to share any info I have on these units.

Keep the GOOD posts coming!

-Jeremy-

Im gonna hold u to that info. ur gonna be my new best friend! ;)

We are currently developing the technology that will allow a selected individual to send a severe electrical impulse through to an "offender's" keyboard. The technology is the easy part, what we are stuck on is who will decide which people will get the shock......................................................

:lol: I have got a few names for that list. Just remember it will only be a matter of time before we are all wearing rubber gloves :)

Its not simply a matter of being "thin skinned", its more of an issue of trying to keep the disrespect and name calling, so to speak, to a minimum and not turn a good site into a "free for all" as found on a lot of other sites.

There is nothing wrong with lurking on a site to see if you want to join or add posts, but as I stated earlier, there are some people who jump all over others and then go away until the next time. Hang out on any site long enough and you will see what I mean.

I am a big fan of proffessional football. You should see what goes on in those forums, there is a so much name calling going on, you can't even post a logical remark without someone jumping down your throat, it is truly ridiculous at times.

The fact of the matter is that this website has always been one of the best and many of us are hoping that it does not turn into what other sites have become in regard to the quality thereof.

Opinion is exactly what it is, "opinion", neither fact nor fiction. A difference of opinion should not create hostility to the point where the name calling starts and or people start bashing each other simply because they don't like what the other person said, Agree to disagree and move on.

Everyone should remember that the good people of this site are like a"fraternity", a place where we can come and learn about hunting, share ideas, read peoples stories and share in our success and sometime failures. Being a member of any website is not a right, but a priviledge.

Well said. Well said!!

E-bashing is bad, agreed.

E-sharing specific information on honey-holes is foolish. If you must be so benevolent, or if you have a need to be recognized for your knowledge, please do it in a pm, so that the general e-scouting public (lurkers, bad guys and all) aren't undersevingly blessed.

It is my opinion, which I am certainly entitled to, that our rescources are limited, and that by handing out information without discretion is robbing people of the joy that we all experience by busting our own butts and doing the field research ourselves.

Let the debate rage: not everyone has the time etc., etc - we've been through this before. Bad attitudes and language have no place here, but if your arguement is that someone pinged you for freely disclosing special hunting spots, you will get no sympathy from me.

Mike

E-bashing is bad, agreed.

E-sharing specific information on honey-holes is foolish. If you must be so benevolent, or if you have a need to be recognized for your knowledge, please do it in a pm, so that the general e-scouting public (lurkers, bad guys and all) aren't undersevingly blessed.

It is my opinion, which I am certainly entitled to, that our rescources are limited, and that by handing out information without discretion is robbing people of the joy that we all experience by busting our own butts and doing the field research ourselves.

Let the debate rage: not everyone has the time etc., etc - we've been through this before. Bad attitudes and language have no place here, but if your arguement is that someone pinged you for freely disclosing special hunting spots, you will get no sympathy from me.

Mike

I agree. I understand a lot of people don't like e-scouters, especially the ones that show up, get the info they need, and disappear without so much as a thank you. I don't mind helping out some people with info, but I always send a P.M and try and keep it out of public view. But if someone wants to share info on the general forum thats their biz and not mine. My honey holes are jealously guarded :)

I helped a guy out last year on another site with some specific info on where to go, and they shot a buck in there and he came back bragging about what a great guide he was, and I didn't even get a thank you in return, so yeah ,I have learned my lesson on that score.

I'm in agreeance with MOST that has been said on here... EXCEPT the fact that some folks that are here need to grow some thicker skin and tone down the whole "touchy feely" and hurt feelings ..... If there is a topic you dont like, DONT READ IT!!! How boring would this place be if EVERYONE on here felt exactly the same way on everything that was said?? That'd be like watching paint dry..Having opinions and being able to freely state them are what make us all AMERICANS and what makes this site fun and what keeps it fresh and exciting!! There are limits and rules, but as long as you stay within the boundries of Amanda's site, there is nothing wrong with having your own opinion and being able to state them. Along those same lines though, I too get sick and tired of seeing a new topic and just knowing it is going to be like reading a bunch of pre-teen sally's crying over this and that... Most on here are adults, let's at least try and act like one! But on that same token, I know things can get sideways sometimes and I've been guilty of that myself.I've said a thing or two on here that was posted to sting someone before, but I realized that calling someone out on the computer is pretty childish and have always apologized afterwards when I've had a few minutes to think about what it was that I said in return.

There are TONS of topics on this site that get passed over by me and never read. For example , I've learned to just forgo reading all posts on here that have to do with illegal immigration, Border Patrol, all the 36 units, etc.. all they usually end up doing is getting me heated and that's where the head butting and personality clashing occurs!! I just don't read them now and whaddya know, NO ARGUMENTS!! I also never open any topics posted by folks who I've had previous problems with in the past.. Easy solution. I get enough of that crap in my daily life, so I've learned to just keep it out of my off time when I'm on "me" time.

Some of you guys think that this site has problems?? Have you been to any others?? :lol: :lol: This place is like going to church compared to most other hunting sites!