Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

My Bull

Ive been out of the CW loop for a while between scouting and actually hunting, I havent been able to got on much for about a month. I figured I'd post this pic before I go to class. I got him Sat am. I'll be adding the story later

CopyofIMG_0065.jpg

Well for the story. I had a blast on this hunt. Everyday i was in close to 350+ bulls. Never could put it together untill sat morning. At first light on saturday i snuck up on a little rag 5 to anout 45 yards. I passed a shot on him, and then saw the heard bull. He was a 370 class bull, but his left side was busted off just past the G-2. I left these elk to head to another group that was going nuts. I would say there was atleast 15 bulls screamin within a quarter mile square. Mtydad was with me but stayed behind. I went on about a mile and a half trot to get good wind and get ahead of the elk.

All the running I have been doing reallt payed off. I sliped in and got about 80 yeard from a group of elk feeding to me with good wind. There was probably a 380 herd bull with 15 cows or so. I was pretty lucky to slip in this close with so many eyes. I held tight for about 10 minutes. then a 360-370 bull came in to try and steal a few cows. I got quite a show at 70 yards for a minute or two. They were really goin at it. The whole time the cows were feeding closer and closer to about 35 yards. Then, the worst thing ever, I felt my neck get cool. THe wind did a complete 180 and they winded me. I ended up cow calling in a little 6 point to about 60 yards. I passed on a long shot on a smaller bull. He never would really leave, he just kind of hung around and i messed with him for a while. I kept paralleling the elk moving to their bedding area. I could hear the smaller 6 pt going crazy. I heard what sounded to be a better bull, moving away from him, closer to me. I had perfect wind for a bull that was headed my way. I saw one cow about 150 yeard infront of me heading towards me and to my right. I backed out and ran to get infront of where i thought they were heading. I saw 5 cows walk into the edge of the clearing i was set up on. I hit em with the laser, 63 yards. THen i saw the bull trailing them. They held up in the clearing for about 30 seconds or so. One cow headed straight for me. THe bull ran to cut her off and never presented me a shot while he was close. He walked right back to where he entered the clearing. His head was behind a tree, and he was quartering away strong. I drew, figured right at 60 and let her buck. I saw the arrow burry up to the fletches behind the last rib, a little low. This was at 8 am. I thought I heard him crash. I backed out right then and didn't return untill 2 pm. I found him not 200 yards from where i shot from. The broad head was caught by the skin just behind the front sholder on the off side. I've never experienced anything like this before, HUGE elk going nuts close every time out. I spent alot of time chasing a bull close to 380, 7x8, the 8 side was a split 5th. I got within 100 yards on probably 4 different attempts. I never could seal the deal, he had close to 20 cows. THat was too many eyes for me to close enough apparently. I couldnt be happier with this bull, and had a great hunt. I saw some giant bulls, lots of fighting, some king sized carp, and a few bears.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. As I read about all these great hunts, it makes me wish I could hunt too.....Come on bogus points...One of these days.

Congrats on a great lookin bull! Great story and pics.