Sign in to follow this  
RAM

First Archery Bull Elk

I just recently became a member CWT, but have been reading and enjoying all the pics and stories everyone has to post over the past year. I felt now is the time to join all the fun, and to share my recent Bull elk hunt.

It all started when I found out that I was drawn for archery Bull Elk 2008. Hearing that sound "You were drawn for Elk" was priceless, not to mention that my first choice unit, is the same that my younger brother last season taged a 322 bull on his archery hunt. After getting my hunt #, I ran to ckeck the unit, only to find that I drew my second choice a unit, a unit I had never hunted before. Even though I didn't get my first choice I was still on cloud 9, after all this gave me more of a reason to be up in elk country prior to my hunt. After getting some maps of the area, I headed out to put in the time scouting and sharpening my skills with the new county.

Well long story short, I took 5 seperate scounting trips up to my unit over a span of 5 months and found some really good country and really good bulls.

September rolled around and I headed up to Elk camp, to meet my buddy who had a tag in the neighboring unit. By Thursday the camp was full of friends and family, and by Friday the hunt was on. Friday morning my younger brother and I headed out to try and seal the deal with a stud. That morning we found our selves in the middle of 4 to 5 good bulls that were screaming their heads off, the only thing was we were up wind of all of them. Sometime during our stalk the wind had shifted and sent the elk in the other direction, we attempted to follow the elk as they headed down the mountain but the lowere we got, the more hunters we ran into. One of the hunters that we saw came walking into our setup carring his bow in his left hand and a "Milwaukee Best Beer Can" in his right :lol: . With that kind of incounter, we went back to camp to find a less crowded spot.

Saturday we found our selves in another part of the unit, trying to get away from all the hunters and hopefully find some dandy bulls. We saw 5 good bulls but nothing that was close. The good news was their were no hunters, not easy to find on a AZ bull elk hunt.

Sunday morning we were back in the same country tring to seal the deal. This time my step father joined the crew as we started our mile hike in the dark to the desired hunting spot. Just as shooting light creped up, we started hearing what sounded like 2 great, bulls bugling back and fourth at eachother. As we lisened to the bulls, we started our silent stalk into the closed bull. We got as close as we could without bumping them and set up. My brother and step father set up approximately 50 to 60 yards behind me and started thier "Sexy cow calls". Without hesitation, the bull hammered back with a bugle which then got his cow talking too.

As I was still getting set up, tring to find a spot were I felt the bull would come through, the bull bugled again, but this time he was close. I quickly found a spot that would work, so I set up and ranged some near by distances. As I lowered my range finder, I could see an elk walking through the JP and it was headed in my direction. After the elk cleared the JP, I could see that he was a great bull, one I would be pumped to put my tag on. As the elk was closing the distance, he walked into a clearing that I ranged at 45 yards and stopped. He then began to turn his head from left to right, showing off his huge rack, looking for the "Sexy Cow's" that he came in to find. My brother and Step father gave another couple cow calls and the bull rocked his head back and bugled right in my face. After he bugled he started to close the distance even more.

The only way I would be able to draw, was if the bull went behind a dead JP, earlier ranged at 30 yards. Lucky enough for me, he did and I came to full draw. The bull then came back into the opening which was at 30 yards and stopped. The bull was looking right at me and was giving me all the signals that he had spoted me. I chose to not let this opportunity pass, so I took a well practiced and well aimed shot, hammerinig the bull between the right shoulder and brisket. The shot sent the bull in a 180 spin, running away the same way he came in. The bull was already starting to stumbling and ended up taking his last step 80 yards from were I shot.

We walked up too my bull and the rest is history. Hope you like the pics.

We field scored him at 301 and aged him between 5-7 years old. My first archery bull and best bull to date.

Did I mention that my wife brought our son (Jackson) who spent his 1st birthday in elk camp :D .

Ryan

post-2793-1222097570_thumb.jpg

post-2793-1222103797_thumb.jpg

post-2793-1222103895_thumb.jpg

post-2793-1222103985_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a nice time was had.

Much congratulations on a nice one!

Plus you can always remind your son just where he was when he turned one year old!

Very nice, congradulations sounds like you had a great hunt with friends and family.

Redman