Sign in to follow this  
idgaf

Going Davy Crockett style. Semi live

Today kicked me in the nuggets.  My youngest brother drove down from showlow. He had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago.  So we changed plans slightly. This is the first us three brothers have been together in a very long time alone.  

Late start from lousy directions from my middle brother.  We take a moderately popular trail with quite a few female hikers.  Some wanted to help glass others were upset that we were hunting.  We see absolutely zero until a lone doe pops out around noon.  We decided to leave and on the way back I see that little 3 point I posted earlier.  Middle brother furiously talks me into shooting at it.   As I was setting up it changes bedding spots  so after some discussion I try stalk. 

This were it becomes a comedy of errors.  I know where he bedded, I'm within  a 100 yards then a bigger buck pops out with two smaller bucks to my right.  I take aim when he breaks from the smaller bucks and squeeze.  He scampers and then slows and starts limping  goes under a tree. After a few minutes my brothers call me and say the two bucks are 150 yards to my left.  I say no they're not   he never left the tree.  It gets heated.  Then a hiker walks by and Said he never saw that buck leave with the other two.  I see him under the tree standing.  I settle in and feel I can make the shot although long. I squeeze and don't see him again.  I wait for middle brother to bring my back pack with cleaning supplies. We hike upto where I shot. They had no idea where I was shooting. Take a few steps and the goes over a small finger.  I go to where he was for 30+ minutes to look for blood. Zero blood.  I dry track where he goes over the finger and find these two with 20 yards of each other.  

IMG_20211113_191817.thumb.jpg.ffda3ad5576bef265ddab4200e3b4039.jpg

we go to the top of the hill and two bucks we're bedded in the saddle one was very good.  

Hiking down my middle brother sees limpy  I set up for the shot not taking into account the left to right and a slow round projectile hitting a few inches in front of his shoulder.  He runs towards the trail my youngest brother is spotting from.  I get within 80 set up for the shot and then he bolts straight up the hill showing no bad signs of being hit.  

We didn't get back to the vehicles until 500 all of us too tired and thirsty for an evening hunt.  

E scouters here is a hint of where we parked. 

20211113_163737.thumb.jpg.0a997550837c867f9974f0f96e1b5afd.jpg

sorry for the long read. I'm trying to stay awake until 800 so I don't wake up at 100 am again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

“We saw Davy Crockett while we were taking family pics today”

One of them called the sheriff.  Hahaha.  Had to explain I was hunting 

I like this version. Wasn't ready for you to punch that tag quite yet.  Monday morning just feels "right"