do any of the sportsmen organizations organize trash pickups? perhaps that could help with landowner relations, if it is truly a vanalism/litter issue.

I'm surprised everyone isn't familiar with the Arizona Hunters Who Care program that Safari Club Intl and Lance Altherr in particular have been doing about twice a year the last several years in the Altar Valley. It's not been unusual to draw 300 hunters and their families to pick up literally tons of backpacks, drinking containers and clothing discarded by illegal aliens. Hunters didn't put the trash there, but we're helping to clean it up, and the private landowners and public land agencies greatly appreciate it. This is hunters' way of saying thanks for continuing to allow access.

I'm aware of similar cleanups in Unit 10 and elsewhere.

Noel Arnold has "most of us are the ones paying the state taxes. So in some way we actually own some of the rights to public land." Yep. That's correct. That was the intention when the public lands were set aside and dedicated for public use.

Bird Dog says "So, why can we as sportsmen get some legislative support to start roads/access around the private property and then later have the heavy equiptment come in to finalize the access." We can. A few of us are working on that. If you have an access problem that involves the state land dept., contact your state legislator(s) and your county board of supervisors.

But it takes persistence and efforts of a few angry people to get anything done. When the road into Charoleau Gap in Unit 33 was closed because the residents of the new Saddlebrooke subdivision didn't want hunters driving through, the governor's office was deluged with about 100 letters. Before long there was money to build an alternate access route. That's what a bunch of determined hunters can do when they decide to do something besides complain to each other.

Desertbulls.com it costs 30.00$$ they send you scouting reports, quality maps, and GPS cordinates where good places are. I used them last year for unit 33 and got mine opening morning, they put me right in the thick of them!!

I am aware of one feller that sued for access, stating that the road had been open for decades and the landowner had allowed a per se easement. Resulted in a settlement where the individual can go through but noone else can because he was the plaintiff.

Class action lawsuits get expensive and I wonder how the Landowners would like spending their new found wealth on legal fees.

Sportsmen need to get together on these issues because the state nor the feds are going to bat for us.

I am aware of one feller that sued for access, stating that the road had been open for decades and the landowner had allowed a per se easement. Resulted in a settlement where the individual can go through but no one else can because he was the plaintiff.

Sportsmen need to get together on these issues because the state nor the feds are going to bat for us.

Yes, rulings can turn out to apply to only one person if the case isn't assembled on behalf of all sportsmen.

So Hooked on Coues, are you ready to get together with other sportsmen? I can put you on a distribution list for email updates, petitions and letter writing campaigns. Right now Unit 32 is being looked at very hard.

A BUDDY AND I DROVE OUT TO A NEIGHBORING RANCH NEAR MERCERS OVER A MONTH AGO AND UNLIKE LAST YEAR GATE WAS LOCKED AT THE GAME AND FISH SIGN IN. IF WHAT IM HEARING ABOUT THE GUIDE SERVICE IS TRUE THEN IT LOOKS LIKE IM HOPPING FENCES AND HIKING AN EXTRA 2 MILES. AND AFTER I SCORE MY BUCK THE GUIDE IS GONNA HEAR THE REST OF MY SHELLS ECHOING UP THE CANYONS AND ABOUT 100 .40 CALS TOO! IF THEY WANNA RUIN HARD WORKING DO IT UR SELFERS HUNTS THEN I CAN HOPEFULLY HURT THEIR BUSINESS . EVER SINCE THE RESULTS CAME OUT IVE BEEN LOSING SLEEP OVER THE BUCKS I SAW IN THIS SPOT LAST YEAR. LOOKS LIKE TOO MANY OF US ARE CAPABLE OF FINDING OUR OWN BUCKS AND A DESPERATE GUIDE DOESNT CARE ABOUT SPORTSMEN. THIS DISREGARD FOR OUR LOVE OF THE SPORT BY A OVER ZEALOUS IDIOT HAS ME SAYING SCREW IT. I DONT SEE ANY FENCES THEN. HIS SLICK S**T WONT WORK :angry: :ph34r:

Ben Brochu of AZGFD has organized a meeting of people interested in accessing the west side of the Galiuros at 5:00 pm, Friday, October 13th at the ASARCO Union Hall in Hayden. I know that's an inconvenient time for most of us and quite a distance from where most of us live, but there it is. I think he can be reached at the Tucson office or by e-mail at: bbrochu@azgfd.gov. Jack

Does anyone know who this outfitter is?

Anyone? This is too bad. A few years ago I paid the 25bones (per person) or whatever it was at the time to the Mercers just so I could gain access to the area I wanted to hunt without having to drive Copper Creek Road after the Monsoons tore it to shreds. We were told they were only going to allow 25 hunters access per hunt (there must have been a couple or three hunts going on at the same time ;) ) Anyway, I can see why they would want to limit it with all the dumping that had/has occured out there. But do you all take your diapers and refrigerators out with you when your hunting? LOL heck No! Instead of working with the hunters, who from my experinence leave an area better than they left it, they shut us out and use their locks as a way to recoup what some other $hithead has done. After that trip I told myself I would never do it again. Now hearing they are only allowing an outfitter to access the area (if I am reading this right) makes me nausious. This is something I would expect from Her (oops them). Is it the Mercers Ranch that is doing this? and again, Does anyone know who the outfitter is?

If anyone on the board hears anything out of the meeting in Hayden please Post?

Jack, thanks for posting this. I am having a public meeting on October 13 @ 5pm at the ASARCO Union Hall in HAYDEN. Take 77 to Winkelman then head west on 177 toward Superior. Turn right on VELASCO AVE then left on HAYDEN AVE. The bldg will be on your left. The goal of the meeting is not to badmouth ranchers but to get some red circles on maps where people want access. I'll explain the entire process there. As far as the outfitter story with the Mercers, I have NOT been able to verify this and I don't believe it is true. If you want to make a diffence, come to the meeting and voice your opinion.

Thanks,

Ben Brochu

Wildlife Manager

AGFD

So everyone that has posted here just got an invitation from the man who can help change it for you!! Inconvenient time and location, maybe, but it would be more inconvenient to lose all of your access!! good luck guys!! ag

Jack, thanks for posting this. I am having a public meeting on October 13 @ 5pm at the ASARCO Union Hall in HAYDEN. Take 77 to Winkelman then head west on 177 toward Superior. Turn right on VELASCO AVE then left on HAYDEN AVE. The bldg will be on your left. The goal of the meeting is not to badmouth ranchers but to get some red circles on maps where people want access. I'll explain the entire process there. As far as the outfitter story with the Mercers, I have NOT been able to verify this and I don't believe it is true. If you want to make a diffence, come to the meeting and voice your opinion.

Thanks,

Ben Brochu

Wildlife Manager

AGFD

Im going to try to be there.(coming from Gilbert) 4hr round trip. :( Can I get an exact address(Mapquest)? ;)

The Hendrickson ranches are in 32. They are on the East side of the river and run into the Galiuro's.