gauchoand

Anyone seen Wild burros

When I was a boy in Yuma in the 1940s and early 1950s they were all over Arizona, and we were encouraged to shoot them on sight. My father and I shot a few in the Sand Tanks, Castle Domes and Chocolates. The Yuma Rod and Gun Club used to hold an annual burro barbecue (the meat is good) and wildlife managers used to brag about joining the 500- and 1,000-burro clubs by shooting that many. The most I ever saw in a group was about fifty. Their trails to water made it look as if 10,000 ATV riders had set out to destroy the world.

Bill Quimby

Bill, my dad grew up down there about the same time you did. Yeah, the crops came before the burros and when he was a kid he was told that if he was irrigating at night and saw burros, he was suppose to take care of business.

Oatman by my home town of Bullhead City has lots of them. WE have a town festival called Burro Barb Q days. Back in the day we would actually eat real burro's cooked in a deep pit. They still call it Burro Barb Q, but I think they upgraded to dog or something.

Bob

Bill, I did not see your post. I guess the river citys think alike.

Bill, my dad grew up down there about the same time you did. Yeah, the crops came before the burros and when he was a kid he was told that if he was irrigating at night and saw burros, he was suppose to take care of business.

Who is your dad? I graduated from YUHS in 1954. I may know him.

Bill Quimby

Bill - did you ever come across any camels? I did a report once in AZ History class about the camels that were brought into the Yuma area way back in the territorial days.

Bill - did you ever come across any camels? I did a report once in AZ History class about the camels that were brought into the Yuma area way back in the territorial days.

Nope. I'm old, but the camels that were brought to Arizona/California for hauling U.S. Army freight were long gone before I was born.

I have a copy of the 1909 Arizona hunting laws somewhere that says camels could not be killed, so there apparently were a few feral camels still around by then.

There is a monument in Quartzite, if I remember correctly, to Hi Jolly, the Arab who was involved in the experiment. Have you seen it?

Bill Quimby

Hey I will tell you a spo to go see them. They are seen all the time in one ofmy prospecting spots. I will try to catch you at the house or maybe talk to you sunday about them.

Who is your dad? I graduated from YUHS in 1954. I may know him.

Bill Quimby

Bill, his name is Calvin Moore. I believe he graduated from YUHS in '57. He has a lot of brothers and sisters, some older, some younger, so you may have known them as well.

Jesse

Don't remember a Calvin Moore (or any Moore in Yuma for that matter, but then I graduated 54 years ago). I have a brother who graduated in 1956 who probably knew him.

Bill Quimby