Just got back from my son’s first coues deer hunt in southern Arizona. I’ve hunted Sonora in the past, so it wasn’t all brand new. But Arizona hunting pressure is certainly different than Sonora. Last week we saw lots of deer and a good number of bucks. We learned a few good areas, passed on bucks, had close calls on other bucks, and saw some awesome country. But in the end we didn’t fill his youth tag; (hopefully he draws again soon and he’ll be back down, with another tag in his pocket).

I will be headed back down a bit further south this time, to a different unit for my wife’s first coues hunt in December.

I’m brand new to this forum, (hope to be a good contributing member) but wondered if some of you experts could give opinions on this buck we saw multiple times on my son’s youth hunt. Just curious if my coues field judging skills are close to accurate, as I prepare for my wife’s December hunt.

DDCB3A69-CAFE-4DFF-BF32-706942AF1B58.png

D71522BB-1271-45FB-8156-A73AE0169996.jpeg

3CC31510-D310-4452-9561-89D76DC82424.jpeg

• Like 2

On a youth hunt that one should probably be in the freezer. Young buck, probably a 3 year old but pretty good tine length and beams. I’d say 75” as well, give or take 2-3 inches. 

• Like 2

Ya my boy fully intended to shoot the buck; he was actually set up and waiting for a smaller 8 to come out in the evening, when this one showed up; my boy was ready to shoot, but my cousin who was with him at the time, (I was down the ridge a small distance glassing a different angle) told him to hold off while he verified it was big enough, about then the buck saw my cousin move and bugged over the hill towards me; it got dark before they could sneak down to where I took these photos.

Seems a personal preference question. Youth hunt for sure a shooter. Outside of that i think any buck bigger then the biggest the hunter has killed should be a shooter.  Ive killed a couple big bucks but if hes in my shooting lane with a bow in my hand id let an arrow fly.