AzRaised08

Spot-and-Stalk or Sitting Water?

On 12/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, AzRaised08 said:

I feel like this is the best of both worlds. I get antsy sitting for hours without moving sometimes haha. 

We were considering 35B. Still not fully committed to the idea due to the border issues I keep reading about, but it seems like a good unit to hunt in Jan

Yeah if it was a northern unit i might say sit. But a southern unit during the rut i would definately be glassing.  If you want to sit in the middle of the day when most people are sitting at camp then do that but i say glass all the way.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, trphyhntr said:

I think glassing is just as boring

Must be why you dont like coues hunting so much. Glassing imo is the funnest part of hunting. I actually find it therapeutic after a shitty day.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Must be why you dont like coues hunting so much. Glassing imo is the funnest part of hunting. I actually find it therapeutic after a shitty day.  

It’s why I don’t particularly enjoy hunting in general. I glass all the time, it’s the best way to find stuff. I just dont like it. Coues are the best species to sit for. Only ones dumb enough to come in consistently in day light that I’m aware of. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going back to what big orange said, I mean tbh is sitting mid day really worse than glassing through heat waves mid day? Either way I’d rather hunt prime moving times and drink during the bulk of the day. But coues you gotta sit all day cuz they might come in at noon 

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s why I don’t particularly enjoy hunting in general. I glass all the time, it’s the best way to find stuff. I just dont like it. Coues are the best species to sit for. Only ones dumb enough to come in consistently in day light that I’m aware of. 

To each their own I guess. But the ones i want never seem to walk in all dilly dally tho.  Havent honestly hunted enough other species to say whether thats true or not.  But i dont really suppose you are wrong i guess. In my experience coues will water mid day if they can do so while still staying in relative cover to get there. So if im gonna sit water i will definately sit it if it is close to cover, otherwise i wont. But still i hate sitting.

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Going back to what big orange said, I mean tbh is sitting mid day really worse than glassing through heat waves mid day? Either way I’d rather hunt prime moving times and drink during the bulk of the day. But coues you gotta sit all day cuz they might come in at noon 

Yeah glassing midday sucks unless you have a nice steep north slope with access to water. As far as op goes in a southern unit i say glass and sit water while everyone else is BSing around camp.

19 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah glassing midday sucks unless you have a nice steep north slope with access to water. As far as op goes in a southern unit i say glass and sit water while everyone else is BSing around camp.

It seems like based on what people are saying (along with our own preference) we will probably stick with glassing. At least for the first day or two. If we aren’t turning anything up maybe some can choose to sit water and give that a go. But it’s hard sitting for hours and not moving too much haha

On 12/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, HuntHarder said:

Spot and stalk is a lot more fun.  I've killed plenty both ways and here in AZ, much prefer spot and stalk.  Coues are pretty habitual on the early hunt tho, late hunt is a shitshow.  Those hill rats can move a mile in minutes.

Sometimes I think they are part Ethiopian.