AzRaised08

Spot-and-Stalk or Sitting Water?

My buddy and I have been going back and forth on doing a DIY OTC hunt in January in one of the southern units. Still not entirely sure if we’ll get the chance to do it (I got military duty early in the month and am running the PF Changs in the middle of the month), but after October’s rifle hunt I’ve had a hard time getting Coues out of my head haha.

It would be my first archery hunt for deer and am really conflicted on how to best approach it. Just wondering what you guys do and what seems to be the better approach: sitting water or spot and stalk? I appreciate any advice from you seasoned guys!

if its a full moon or bright moon, the bucks often water at first light after chasing does all night.

• Like 1

Personal preference mostly…I enjoy spot n stalk a lot more but not as successful as folks I know that are dedicated and willing to sit water long hours. 

• Like 2

I'd say if it's a dry winter sitting water would give you the best chances. If there's a little rain right before your hunt, spot and stalk. I personally find spot and stalk more satisfying and in Jan bucks should be preoccupied with finding tail, however like bigorange said sitting water can be more fruitful. 

• Like 2

Sitting effin sucks! Glass from dark to 10am, then sit water if you feel the need and go back to glassing between 2 and 3. Especially in January.  Sitting water and salt is mostly a summer game. What unit?

• Like 2

Spot and stalk definitely is definitely more in line with what I’m used to, and the additional challenge would made for an exciting hunt! But with as dry a winter as they’re predicting, I’m thinking sitting water could be productive

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Sitting effin sucks! Glass from dark to 10am, then sit water if you feel the need and go back to glassing between 2 and 3. Especially in January.  Sitting water and salt is mostly a summer game. What unit?

I feel like this is the best of both worlds. I get antsy sitting for hours without moving sometimes haha. 

We were considering 35B. Still not fully committed to the idea due to the border issues I keep reading about, but it seems like a good unit to hunt in Jan

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Nothing beats the excitement of something coming into a spot your sitting imo

And nothing as boring as sitting all day and seeing nothing…double-edged sword. 

• Like 3

Spot and stalk is a lot more fun.  I've killed plenty both ways and here in AZ, much prefer spot and stalk.  Coues are pretty habitual on the early hunt tho, late hunt is a shitshow.  Those hill rats can move a mile in minutes.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:48 AM, AzRaised08 said:

My buddy and I have been going back and forth on doing a DIY OTC hunt in January in one of the southern units. Still not entirely sure if we’ll get the chance to do it (I got military duty early in the month and am running the PF Changs in the middle of the month), but after October’s rifle hunt I’ve had a hard time getting Coues out of my head haha.

It would be my first archery hunt for deer and am really conflicted on how to best approach it. Just wondering what you guys do and what seems to be the better approach: sitting water or spot and stalk? I appreciate any advice from you seasoned guys!

Nice. , How did your rifle hunt go ?

18 hours ago, bigorange said:

And nothing as boring as sitting all day and seeing nothing…double-edged sword. 

Throw in a good nap and ponder what you missed seeing.  😴

• Haha 2