11 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Just some gun history .The gun is a remington 1903 with a serial# of 32925## and the best I can tell is a two groove barrel and was made in 1942 Oct or Nov so its 80 years old and still shooting.

Those barrels were pretty accurate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I did get it out and run a few rounds thru it about 2 week ago and it was drifting zero right and left so I cleaned the bore and was checking the scope and mounts and found the bases were loose and it has a stripped hole .So it's going to the gunsmith and I'm going to have it drilled and tapped to 8-40 .I want to make sure who ever wins gets a gun that is going to be ready to hunt.

Well a trip to see Keith at Phoenix custom rifles and it didn't take long to see that the 2 piece weaver mounts were not going to work .The height was off from front to back and probably screwed up the scope .Were going to go with a egw rail and fix it the right way and as for the scope I have another one just the same new in the box and will send the other back to vortex.I want to make sure the kid who wins gets a gun that will be ready to go and done correctly .

• Like 2

Final talley there are 60 kids in the drawing for the giveaway.

In the up coming weeks I will need a volunteer that is not in the drawing to pull a winner.If your interested and can meet at the sportsmans in mesa or at bass pro .Which ever is more convenient shoot me a pm .

Thanks to all chris

On 1/31/2022 at 4:52 PM, PRDATR said:

Exactly.  To speed up the process and cut costs, Remington switched from the previously standard 4-groove barrel to the 2-groove barrel.  Those were the Springfield 1903 A-4s that Remington made and were designated as sniper rifles in WWII.  Those Remington 2-groove barrels didn't lose anything in accuracy.

7 hours ago, IA Born said:

Exactly.  To speed up the process and cut costs, Remington switched from the previously standard 4-groove barrel to the 2-groove barrel.  Those were the Springfield 1903 A-4s that Remington made and were designated as sniper rifles in WWII.  Those Remington 2-groove barrels didn't lose anything in accuracy.

Hopefully I can get it to shoot a good group today after work .I got with boarman03 and scoped the barrel last week and it's a 4 groove and is deceiving the rest of the gun is in great shape but the bore had lots of build up in it .Fingers crossed it groups some 150s today after a good 3 or 4 hours of scrubbing out the crap in the barrel.If for some reason it won't shoot worth a crap ill give the winner the option to choose to try the rifle for themselves and or pick from a remington 7400 semi auto or a winchester modle 70 .The point is to give the kids a gun that will shoot .I 'll post new target results as I can .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Hopefully I can get it to shoot a good group today after work .I got with boarman03 and scoped the barrel last week and it's a 4 groove and is deceiving the rest of the gun is in great shape but the bore had lots of build up in it .Fingers crossed it groups some 150s today after a good 3 or 4 hours of scrubbing out the crap in the barrel.If for some reason it won't shoot worth a crap ill give the winner the option to choose to try the rifle for themselves and or pick from a remington 7400 semi auto or a winchester modle 70 .The point is to give the kids a gun that will shoot .I 'll post new target results as I can .

That actually doesn't surprise me.  Barrels were swapped on those 1903s all the time. I'd bet money with the cleaning you mention and the right loads, it will be a shooter.  I can pretty much guarantee what will happen if my son wins!

• Like 1

Two vortex scopes junk .1 new leupold 3x9 cds and the gun is finally tracking the bullets in and shot a decent group!!! The 3 shots in the center are the last 3 shots today.I can tell you this thing has been kicking my butt.I'm glad it shoots and I can't wait to see who wins.

0317221510-1.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Two vortex scopes junk .1 new leupold 3x9 cds and the gun is finally tracking the bullets in and shot a decent group!!! The 3 shots in the center are the last 3 shots today.I can tell you this thing has been kicking my butt.I'm glad it shoots and I can't wait to see who wins.

0317221510-1.jpg

I bought about 3k worth of vortex scopes at Wholesale price, I sold them all and will never buy again. If they work your golden but I’ve had way to many tracking issues, screw the lifetime warranty. Not one problem with leupold. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vowell said:

I bought about 3k worth of vortex scopes at Wholesale price, I sold them all and will never buy again. If they work your golden but I’ve had way to many tracking issues, screw the lifetime warranty. Not one problem with leupold. 

Really? Very interesting. I have had some issues with a gun I bought on this site. Hmmmm. Put a new v on it.

9 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Really? Very interesting. I have had some issues with a gun I bought on this site. Hmmmm. Put a new v on it.

Its crazy I bought 4 of them and obviously the first was junked due to the heights being so far off on the 2 piece mounts .They were like .100 thousands off front to back .Then Keith installed a 1 piece egw mount and I had one of the other new scopes mounted and it was like the gun just wouldn't shoot .After talking with Keith and checking every screw and mount .I just figured it's the scope and a laser bore sight showed the cross hairs shifting in the scope.So I went with a new leupold a much better scope and it started to track in .Funny thing is I put the same vortex on my 7400 30-06 semi auto and no problem at all.Makes me want to send them all back .

• Like 2

With less than two weeks till we draw a winner I'd like like to thank those that have helped with this project Kent(krp),boreman03 and his son,Mike for the amazing cerakote,Jerry (Johnnybegood),Eli,and Dale for There donation to getting a kid in the woods.If you offered to donate and have not its not to late .I can tell you this project has cost way more than I could have expected with a few trips to gunsmiths and the need to replace the scope for the second time.

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE PARTICIPATED SOME KID WILL HAVE A 😀 FROM EAR TO EAR!!

• Like 2