singleshot

Unit 6A

9 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I've seen bucked all over that unit, biggest ones back by Buck mountain 

There usually  in with  the turkey  and the javalina  .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Whoa!!  That’s honestly gotta be one of the longest draw odds I’ve ever heard of.  Your chances of drawing a Super Raffle tag are probably about 10x better than a NR rifle antelope tag with 1 point!!  Unreal!  Good luck with the hunt.  My best advice for antelope regardless of what state is to get a good phone scope and take pics.  Like thousands of them.  You’ll get a certain look at a buck that’ll make you shoot him and you’ll be wrong.  If you’ve got pics of everything you see you can go back and look at all the angles and all the sudden one will make you realize it’s way bigger than the rest.  The second thing would be do your entire hunt before the hunt.  Meaning if you’ve got 10 days to do the hunt (yes take that many, this is a once in 10 lifetimes tag, harder to get then a sheep tag) then spend 9 of the 10 scouting and have the last one be opening day.   That does two things 1:  keeps you off the trigger till you’ve seen most of the bucks in the unit 2: gets you the biggest buck asap in the morning of opener before someone else does.   Disclaimer:   6a will have some bucks in the trees those are trickier.   If you’ve got tons of time go after em and ask every coues and elk hunter you know where to look for em

It was actually an archery tag. So a little easier to draw, but still a longshot! 

The way work is going, I may only be able to get out to scout in late July but I will sure try to get there well ahead of the opener!

I have been hearing that some of these bucks hang out in the trees. I am slightly worried about the archery deer hunters out there moving animals around but it's a big unit so hopefully it doesn't feel too crowded. 

I’ve hunted only up N in the pines, and seen very few. I tried going around them and they still cut in front of me, ended up kicking a cow to us for a youth I was helping out. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 7:35 AM, Crazymonkey said:

There usually  in with  the turkey  and the javalina  .

There are some big butt Collared Peckery in 6a and lots of turkey birds.

Also some good ones by the look out tower on the Stowman lake rd..

4 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I was actually looking at that area on OnX, I'll go check it out on my scouting trip!

5 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Some turkey  from  the muzzleloader elk hunt with  dad

20231121_155812.jpg

• Like 1

As mentioned, antelope are in every part of the unit. I've seen some big ones in there over the years. The biggest have always been in the pines. There are general areas in the pines they hang out in, and it can take a couple days between sightings of them.