khartigan

AZ Bull Elk Unit 1

Finally! A Unit 1 tag. In my opinion the best elk unit in the state. It took 7 years for this tag and the wait was worth it. We chased Bulls every day starting by moonlight, and after 4 days, they would bugle well into the morning and start back up by 2 in the afternoon. This bull was lucky enough to run into my arrow a week into the hunt. I was done with being too picky for the bigger ones. Tag soup doesn't taste very good, even after I had an excuse of tearing my rotator cuff a few days in.

This day was extremely windy, and chilly. I was trying to cut off the bulls as they made their way up the hills from feeding in the meadow all night. As they bugled their way up towards the saddle, I would position myself in front of their path. The first 3 bulls that passed were either too far, or following cows that busted me. This bull was the last of the day, something had to give. How sweet it was when he turned to a small opening 25 yards from me. Pulling the bow like a bicep curl, the ol' shoulder didn't want to work too well, but it held while we had a stare down for who knows how long. Deciding he didn't like me, he turned giving that perfect broadside shot. Smack! He didn't even know what was wrong and I watched him walk 50 yards, and then bed down. It only took 9 hours to clean and pack him out a mile from the wilderness to the truck. Thanks for all the help Joel. It would have been an all night packout without your help.post-2918-1223587095_thumb.jpgpost-2918-1223587445.jpgpost-2918-1223588920_thumb.jpg

Very nice bull...thanks for the pictures and story. Congrats

Great bull and welcome to the site! Great way to start out on the best forum on the web. Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us.

Phil

Gutpile,

Hey man nice bull for sure! Congrats and welcome to CWT! I saw your name when you registered and then read your post. I thought you might enjoy my license plate frame!

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1223605937_thumb.jpg

Guest 300ultramag.

me likey unit 1 as well but lets not put that on a public forum beacuse I dont want any one to know tht UNIT 1 has bulls as big as elephants and cows as big as a small school bus :ph34r: :lol: good bull...... i really like that whole area.... God Country for sure.

Gutpile,

Hey man nice bull for sure! Congrats and welcome to CWT! I saw your name when you registered and then read your post. I thought you might enjoy my license plate frame!

AzP&Y

Doug

AzP&Y,

Now, that is happiness for sure. Nice frame.

I live April to November in the heart of unit 1, and I want everyone to know that all of our elk moved to units 2, 3 and 27 or into the White Mountain Apache Reservation last week. They are not expected to return. Take it from someone who knows, and apply for other units in 2009.

Bill Quimby

I live April to November in the heart of unit 1, and I want everyone to know that all of our elk moved to units 2, 3 and 27 or into the White Mountain Apache Reservation last week. They are not expected to return. Take it from someone who knows, and apply for other units in 2009.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

It's funny that you say that, for in fact I was hunting the Res. line for the first three days and ran across someone that was spending his time scaring the elk across the reservation line. I had friends that had found a nice "400" class bull that had been seen in the meadow nightly for a few weeks. Well, this jerk had scared everything off he could. We ran across him cow calling feverishly to a group in the meadow right at sunset. We were moving in to a big bull that was coming out of the tree line following the cows. That didn't last long, for he scared them off by his calls and walking out into the meadow. He didn't have a bow, but was dressed in camo with a bugle hanging around his neck. By the time we realized what was going on, he had seen us and rushed out of there. His job was done. After talking to AZ Game and Fish, and the Res. Game and Fish, what he was doing was illegal and if we had gotten his license plate, we could have turned him in. Oh well, maybe someone will get him next time.

gutpile