recurveman

My first coues was NOT 110!!!!

[First I want to say that I love this site. I have learned a ton from all of the posters and I think it is great to have a site just for coues related topics.

Well I finally got my first coues. I was up in unit 8 and I really don't think I will put in for this hunt again. I saw 5 coues the whole hunt (5 days). I normally hunt down south and I'm used to seeing a bunch of deer each and everyday. But unit 8 is a bit thicker and the hunting is a little different.

I hunted the first 4 days of the hunt and finally saw 4 deer the last afternoon before I had to come home for Christmas. I walked the ridge where the deer where and saw a ton of rubs and scrapes. I was so excited that I actually found an area that has some deer sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't see a person the entire weekend in this area and figured I would have the entire unit to myself once I got back up after Christmas. So for the next few days I could hardly wait to get back up and sit those scrapes. I read all the stuff Josh had posted and I figured I would spend 6 more days up there and see what happened.

I brought a tree stand with me and I was going to my "secret" location to put it up. I didn't see a single person..........until I turned my last corner and someone was parked in MY SPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It wasn't even a parking spot. I normally just pulled off the edge of the road and there was a gal reading in the passanger side of the truck. I was so bummed. I figured I might as well go check out the scrapes and see how they looked. Her truck was only about 100 yards from where I wanted to put up my stand. So I went down the road and parked so she couldn't see me and I walked over to the scrapes. They looked really old. Again I was a bit bummed. I figured I would walk the scrape line and see if there were any fresher looking scrapes.

I went up about 50 yards (Now I'm about 125 yards from this gals truck) and this buck came walking over the hill. I would like to say that I field scored him for a long time (3 seconds max). I would also like to say that I would have shot a spike by this time in the hunt. The only reason I didn't shoot a spike is I couldn't find one of those first.

After I shot this buck I walked out to the road and walked by this gals truck. Her eyes were as big as pie plates. She asked if that was my shot. I told her that it was (if I was bow huntint I could have just lied and told her that I hadn't seen anyting yet. These guns make to much noise). She told me it scare the living crap out of her when it went off. She didn't realize someone was hunting that close to her.

All in all a great hunt. Thanks everyone for all the info and for having such a great site.

unit8deer2.jpgunit8deer1.jpg

Recurveman

Great story and super outcome. I think you proved the point that there are deer very close to you (and other hunters) more often than we know. Maybe he is not 110" but he is a keeper! Congratulations.

Way to go Recurveman. Sometimes you just never know. Congratulations on a very nice buck. Like Tommy said, "Now you've got the fever!".

Scott

Recurveman,

WAY TO BE!!!!!!!

I know what you are saying about the lack of deer in Unit 8. I glassed with one of my older brothers for a couple of days in that unit a few years ago and never saw a whitetail!! That is really hard to take when you have experienced a southern hunt. There are a few guys (like Epperson) that know the unit well enough to 'believe' and even bowkill a buck out of there. I'm not one of those guys.

That is a great buck. The northern bucks really get some mass. I would be darned proud of that buck!

Congrats!!

Mike

Very Nice Buck, especially considering what unit you were in!!!!! Congrats!!!

Unit 8 buck, NICE!!! Rifle hunting from a stand for Coues deer.... don't hear of that very often. Cool story and thanks for the pics man. What was that lady doing? Just randomly parked on a spot on the side of the road to read? Interesting. Thanks for the pics that is awesome.

Thats the funny part. She was sitting in the passanger seat reading her book. When I walked by the truck we started to talk. Her boyfriend was out hunting and she was reading. But she had a TAG too. She told her boyfriend that she was just going to look for deer from the truck. If she would have just got out of the truck and walked 50 yards she would have been right where I shot my buck.

I guess a little effort could have gone a long ways.

I did find an awesome spot for a couple of treestands right where I killed this buck too. I know that there are more bucks in the area just by the amount of rubs and scrapes. It was just littered with sign. I can hardly wait for bow season so I can wack one the right way. This rifle hunting seems like cheating to me.

Later,

recurveman