Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Cabelas tent cots

I'm looking for something quick & easy to set up for scouting trips and short weekend or over nighters. Anyone have a Cabela's tent cot? They look pretty cool but they are not cheap so thought I would get some opinions first. I think I would get the double one just for a little added space. I am open to any other ideas as well. Thanks in advance!

I do not think you can sit up in this cot/tent.

I would rather have a small tent that sets up quickly and thick thermarest-type mattress.

2nd red rabbit. a good small 2 person free standing tent is the way to go, especially if the weather goes south and your holed up. ive been in bivy tents during rain storms and it is god awful and the tent cots look like a bivy on legs

A friend received one for Christmas a few years ago. He had it on an overnight quail hunt we went on. Easier to get in and out of than a bivy on the ground, but not enough height to sit up in, put clothes on, etc.

A tent with clips that attach the tent to the poles is handier than one with sleeves that you have to push the poles through.

I'm not too worried about being caught up in weather. If it gets that bad I might as well go home as there won't be much scouting going on anyway right. I have a small tent but like to be off of the ground on a cot. I'm thinking with this tent/cot I will only have to bring a sleeping bag and a pillow.

A friend received one for Christmas a few years ago. He had it on an overnight quail hunt we went on. Easier to get in and out of than a bivy on the ground, but not enough height to sit up in, put clothes on, etc.

A tent with clips that attach the tent to the poles is handier than one with sleeves that you have to push the poles through.

I agree with the clips on the tents too. My tent I have now is the sleeved type and it drives me nuts sometimes when setting up and taking down.

I bought one a couple years ago. I didn't like it too much. Seemed to me like the middle was higher than the two ends and i just could not get comfortable.

I'd vote against spending the $$$ as well. ;) I often throw my Butler bag in the bed of my truck and through a tarp over or if weather looks bad, a Cot on the ground next to the truck and a $10 tarp makes great make shift tent! IMO.... ;) I have also wraped my bedrole in a tarp and layed out on the ground as well....

I perfer mobile and versitile on those scouting trips. ;) Best of luck!

If you're planning on good weather then I'm not sure why you'd need a tent? I use a cot all the time right under the stars and love it. Quick and easy to set up without the hassel of a tent.

If you're planning on good weather then I'm not sure why you'd need a tent? I use a cot all the time right under the stars and love it. Quick and easy to set up without the hassel of a tent.

That is what I have been doing but you wake up covered in frost and then you have the bugs and slight chance for rain during the night so I am trying to get a happy medium with packing as little as possible and be comfortable as possible.

That is what I have been doing but you wake up covered in frost and then you have the bugs and slight chance for rain during the night so I am trying to get a happy medium with packing as little as possible and be comfortable as possible.

:huh: :rolleyes: Bugs?? You obviously have never been to Alaska hunting???? ;) :lol: :P Arizona "bugs" will never bother you again after a trip or two up North! ;)

Seriously, I bought a canvas bedrole "tent" from (I think) Colorado Tent Co. and put my Butler Bag in it..... it added warmth, addtional moisture protection and duability.... I'll take it and a tarp any time or place! ;)

:huh: :rolleyes: Bugs?? You obviously have never been to Alaska hunting???? ;) :lol: :P Arizona "bugs" will never bother you again after a trip or two up North! ;)

Seriously, I bought a canvas bedrole "tent" from (I think) Colorado Tent Co. and put my Butler Bag in it..... it added warmth, addtional moisture protection and duability.... I'll take it and a tarp any time or place! ;)

No I have never been to alaska thanks for reminding me jerk! LOL! As far as the bugs last weekend I got absolutely bombed by mosquitoes in 36B and the first archery hunt in 23 I got it even worse with a waistline full of chiggers! Those things really suck literally! I am thinking the tarp deal is probably the way to go also. I was looking closer at those cots and on the double one there is a support rod running right down the middle! No thanks! I would rather sleep on the ground than roll over on that thing all night! Thanks fot evryone's comments!

No I have never been to alaska thanks for reminding me jerk! LOL! As far as the bugs last weekend I got absolutely bombed by mosquitoes in 36B and the first archery hunt in 23 I got it even worse with a waistline full of chiggers! Those things really suck literally! I am thinking the tarp deal is probably the way to go also. I was looking closer at those cots and on the double one there is a support rod running right down the middle! No thanks! I would rather sleep on the ground than roll over on that thing all night! Thanks fot evryone's comments!

:lol: :lol: :P Sorry, Man!!! ;)

Those "Big Cots" and ones like them are Great! The size of a chair for storage and set up fast.... with supports on the ends only... I reccomend an insulated pad though.