bowhunter-tw

Case stuck in chamber- Help!!

I had a case break about halfway down and get stuck in the chamber. Its on a criterion barrel ar. The following round was picked up by the bolt and jammed into the stuck case. Any ideas how to get that front half of the case out? 

Can you get a cleaning rod/brush up there with a larger like 30cal brush and wedge it into the case and pull it out? Or a bore snake backwards very careful around the crown? 

DId you get the round out and now there is just the top half of the case in there? If you have a .17 or .22 cleaninf rod run it through teh case from the chamber and then put a 22 cal bronze brush on it and pull it back. 

Was it a reload? 223's will separate about 5/8" up from the head after the case has been resized  6-8 times.

I got it out with a 30 cal brush, pushed it into the backside of the broken case and it pulled right out. I was afraid it was expanded into the chamber but wasnt too stuck. It was a reload and did break a bit above the head. All set now. Just have to figure out now how to get the gas block set to lock back the bolt. Gas is almost all the way open and it will only lock back every other shell or so. 

• Like 3

Glad you got it out easily.  Check your headspace so that you are only setting the shoulder back about 0.002" when resizing

3 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I got it out with a 30 cal brush, pushed it into the backside of the broken case and it pulled right out. I was afraid it was expanded into the chamber but wasnt too stuck. It was a reload and did break a bit above the head. All set now. Just have to figure out now how to get the gas block set to lock back the bolt. Gas is almost all the way open and it will only lock back every other shell or so. 

Kudos to SHOOTER.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bowhunter-tw said:

One shot then out a turn on the gas block then repeat till it locks then add 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it locks to insure it locks with various charges reliably.

If your almost all the way opened you could have the block off alignment just a little and it will under gas the thing.Also check the diamater of the gas bleed hole in the barrel there have been some that are undersized .Ar15 are standard pattern and you can look up the diameter.Another thing to look at is your buffer weight .To heavy and it really takes a lot to get it to cycle to light and you beat up your gun cycles to hard and fast .Get it right and they are smooth and reliable.

One thing I learned is to try your upper on a proven lower.  That will tell you if it’s a buffer issue.  I didn’t do that and bought a few different buffers and weights and played with them.  Nothing worked so I tried a proven lower and it didn’t work. The lower definitely worked with the other upper flawlessly, so it had to be a gas issue.  Mine wasn’t adjustable with a block, so I sent it to the manufacturer and was told the gas port was too small and they fixed it.  Now it runs very well. It’s something you can do without sending it back, all it is is drilling a bigger hole, but make sure you don’t drill too big.  The good thing about ARs is that the information about the gas ports are all over the interwebs and videos are out there about this exact thing.

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

If your almost all the way opened you could have the block off alignment just a little and it will under gas the thing.Also check the diamater of the gas bleed hole in the barrel there have been some that are undersized .Ar15 are standard pattern and you can look up the diameter.Another thing to look at is your buffer weight .To heavy and it really takes a lot to get it to cycle to light and you beat up your gun cycles to hard and fast .Get it right and they are smooth and reliable.

So I took the block off completely and it looked like it was pretty well aligned. I actually had the screw so far out it was past all the way open, im thinking either it was far enough open it was leaking or open so much that the additional volume was creating a drop in pressure. I reset the block and re aligned. Id hope the gas port is correct size as it is a pretty new criterion core series barrel. I am running a brownells lightweight steel bcg, a flat wire buffer spring and a carbine buffer

That might do it .I ran a jp adjustable on mine and per there instructions come out 4 turns and then shoot 1 round then out 1 turn at a time till it stays open.I've seen some blocks drilled off location also .They were made by Odin works .Still have them at home .I had a Smith assemble the upper on my gun only to have to take it apart and fix it .Hopefully your on the right track and it works.Also I've seen the gas tubes be outa alignment its not common usually its in the gas block or undersized bleed hole in the barrel.

Ive looked into the brownells lightweight bcg and looks like others have had the same issue. Brownells will let me return it for store credit, going to try a regular bcg and see if it will tune.