Sign in to follow this  
Bucks&bulls

Starting over, kind of…

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Haha that's nice of you man.  Killed in January but I might hit you up. I wanna find some more muley spots.

Side question, So just to make sure it's still one Buck per calender year regardless of the new quotas right? Pretty sure that's the case I just don't remember.

Kev, for Arizona yes, one buck per year. Last time I hunted Iowa I put in for antlered and was issued an altered tag and a doe tag. Just a tad bit more meat on an Eastern WT than on our gray ghost WT here in Arizona!

3 hours ago, Bucks&bulls said:

Kev, for Arizona yes, one buck per year. Last time I hunted Iowa I put in for antlered and was issued an altered tag and a doe tag. Just a tad bit more meat on an Eastern WT than on our gray ghost WT here in Arizona!

So what part of Iowa you going to?  A nice big Iowa eastern is on Kevs bucket list.

A couple buddies were talking about hitting NY and my uncle has got some land in PA near the New York border in hoping to hunt there too someday. My uncle I think is where I got the hunting gene from since I look lot like him.  I've always wanted to hunt with him since I got into it but never got into it until moving here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

There’s a few big ole mulies running around here that have tempted me. Timing is never right and I really don’t want to shoot my buddies in their “safe space”

I've always dreamed of living someplace where I could hunt off my porch but even if I could it just wouldn't feel right. Unless it's a state you could kill more then one deer. In that situation I'd kill does all day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

So what part of Iowa you going to?  A nice big Iowa eastern is on Kevs bucket list.

Little town named Exira, 50 miles east of Omaha and 7 miles north of I-80.

Where in Iowa did you move from and where are you moving back to?  I left Iowa in 1997 for grad school,  Grad school in El Paso had me in AZ for field work most of the time and I moved here in 1999.  The lure of better turkey hunting, better fishing, and owning a good chunk of farmland is always in the back of my mind.  Good luck on the move!

18 hours ago, IA Born said:

Where in Iowa did you move from and where are you moving back to?  I left Iowa in 1997 for grad school,  Grad school in El Paso had me in AZ for field work most of the time and I moved here in 1999.  The lure of better turkey hunting, better fishing, and owning a good chunk of farmland is always in the back of my mind.  Good luck on the move!

Lived in Atlantic Iowa and Brayton when my folks had a farm. New address will be Exira.

10 hours ago, joe hunter said:

Dang,you gonna miss this place come January.

Yes and no…I was the guy in high school that always called my friends on snow days to go hunting. If they told me I was crazy I would always respond with “There’s fresh snow, everybody is an Indian this morning!”.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 8:18 AM, Bucks&bulls said:

Lived in Atlantic Iowa and Brayton when my folks had a farm. New address will be Exira.

I grew up in Lambs Grove, right across Hwy 14 from Newton.  I'll be jealous of you getting Casey's pizza and good sweet corn again (the best in the country, as far as I'm concerned).

On 8/25/2022 at 8:21 AM, Bucks&bulls said:

Yes and no…I was the guy in high school that always called my friends on snow days to go hunting. If they told me I was crazy I would always respond with “There’s fresh snow, everybody is an Indian this morning!”.

-10 degrees (with wind chill) was my limit for pheasant hunting.  People thought I was nuts, but I loved chasing birds in the snow!

Short update… Left the house in Arizona at 8 PM on September 8th and arrived at the new house in Iowa on September 10th about noon. Got my lifetime AZ hunting license before we left. I will have to buy a nonresident Iowa hunting license year and I am fine with that. We do qualify for landowner’s tags here. 
    We have two brothers for neighbors and could not ask for better neighbors. One of the brothers hunts, one does not. The brother that hunts lives just up the hill from me and has given permission for us to hunt their land, as is walk out the door go through the gate and hunt. Everything behind us is corn so there ya go for pheasant hunting. The neighbor that hunts says the ridge in the field behind us is a deer highway in the fall so there ya go for deer. I can also hunt on land a friend farms, not sure how many acres but over a thousand.

IA Born, my oldest nephew can’t wait to go pheasant hunting with me. I agree with you about Casey’s pizza. The wife and I froze about 20 quarts of sweet corn to help get us through the winter. Iowa sweet corn in the freezer is like sitting on gold.

Kev, the neighbor up the hill shoots deer off his back deck with a rifle during shotgun season…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bucks&bulls said:

Short update… Left the house in Arizona at 8 PM on September 8th and arrived at the new house in Iowa on September 10th about noon. Got my lifetime AZ hunting license before we left. I will have to buy a nonresident Iowa hunting license year and I am fine with that. We do qualify for landowner’s tags here. 
    We have two brothers for neighbors and could not ask for better neighbors. One of the brothers hunts, one does not. The brother that hunts lives just up the hill from me and has given permission for us to hunt their land, as is walk out the door go through the gate and hunt. Everything behind us is corn so there ya go for pheasant hunting. The neighbor that hunts says the ridge in the field behind us is a deer highway in the fall so there ya go for deer. I can also hunt on land a friend farms, not sure how many acres but over a thousand.

IA Born, my oldest nephew can’t wait to go pheasant hunting with me. I agree with you about Casey’s pizza. The wife and I froze about 20 quarts of sweet corn to help get us through the winter. Iowa sweet corn in the freezer is like sitting on gold.

Kev, the neighbor up the hill shoots deer off his back deck with a rifle during shotgun season…

Almost sounds like heaven. I hope it's everything you need and more.