Sign in to follow this  
hunter4life

Muzzleloader Coues

Bill,

Even with such a deft description I believe we need a picture of your homemade Side-Lock. I put together a couple of those cheap " kit guns" in the 70S when I was a kid and am really sad I don't have them now. I could not hit anything with them, but they were fun to play with.. There was an old timer in our town that could hit coke bottles out to 150 yards with his open sighted Hawken even after drinking a pint of Jim Beam. After the next pint he would do some trick shooting that you wouldn't believe, so I will not bother telling you. Thanks for bringing back memorys of my mispent youth at shooting ranges.

Hunt For life,

Was this buck taken in a muzzleloader only season in New Mexico or did you hunt with a muzzleloader during general rifle season. As I said before I think score does not do this buck justice, what a great specimen.

Congratulations,

Bob

Bill, Even with such a deft description I believe we need a picture of your homemade Side-Lock.

Hunter4life: Please forgive me for bumping your thread temporarily. I don't mean to minimize in any way your great buck or your taking it with a muzzleloader.

BobbyO: Don't know if this will come across, but it is a photo of the fourth and last muzzleloader I built. The half stock is from a piece of walnut I cut from a tree on a friend's ranch in the Texas Hill Country. The pewter tip of the stock once was a mug I stole from my wife. I made the escutcheon plates, side plate and patchbox from sheet silver, and the sights from a piece of real iron, just like the originals. I got fancy with the ramrod and burned the spiral pattern on it by soaking knitting thread in lighter fluid, wrapping it around the rod, and igniting it briefly. Although it can't be seen here, I did a good job on the floral carving around the cheekpiece, if I must say so myself. I made the trigger guard and ferrules from brass. The barrel, caplock, trigger, and buttplate were the only store-bought items and I ordered them separately from a Dixie Gun Works catalog. All were best-quality parts, and the gun shot 3/4-inch groups at 75 yards when I was shooting well. I killed four whitetails (one in Arizona, the others in Texas), and two Arizona mule deer and one javelina with it. I wasn't trophy hunting, though. Any buck within my range was fair game.

Bill Quimby

May I email the photo to someone to post for me? I obviously don't know how to do it.

Bill,

Sweet looking gun. You could make a living building them. I assume you would consider it a Hawkin style gun? Even for a Hawkin style the barrel seems short to me (24) or maybe the deer's antlers are much wider then I'm guessing (30) :lol: Again beautiful gun. Do you still own it?

Bob

P.S. HuntForlife sorry about the hijacked tread it is my fault. It is just we hardly ever get any post in the Muzzleloader section and it is sure nice to get input. Plus I would like to know what your setup is with your Knight inline and see the pictures of your 3 other Muzzleloader bucks especially the record book one.

Bill,

Sweet looking gun. You could make a living building them. I assume you would consider it a Hawkin style gun? Even for a Hawkin style the barrel seems short to me (24) or maybe the deer's antlers are much wider then I'm guessing (30) :lol: Again beautiful gun. Do you still own it?

Bob

P.S. HuntForlife sorry about the hijacked tread it is my fault. It is just we hardly ever get any post in the Muzzleloader section and it is sure nice to get input. Plus I would like to know what your setup is with your Knight inline and see the pictures of your 3 other Muzzleloader bucks especially the record book one.

BobbyO:

Thank you, but I think I'll stick to writing. It's been good to me. It's also easier on an old man's eyes, and I no longer have the patience needed for gun work.

"Hawkens" were sturdy, big bore (.50 caliber and larger) half-stock "plains" rifles made in St. Louis from 1825-1850 by a shop owned by a pair of brothers. Somehow, their surname has been applied in modern times to all half-stock percussion rifles, but lots of short stocks also were built with cap and flint locks (including underhammers) by dozens of other smiths long before the westward movement began.

So readers would know what I was talking about when I told about a hunt with this rifle in my new book, I said I designed it based on a "Hawken" but in .45 caliber with a 32-inch barrel, and much slimmed down. The decorative carvings and general shape of the stock actually were based on a photo of a Golden Age longrifle that appealed to me. I also incorporated some of my own ideas, so I guess it would be more proper to call it a "Quimby." I wanted a gun that would be light and easy to carry on javelina hunts.

Two of my three other home-built muzzleloaders are longrifles based on the Golden Age Pennsylvania style; the other is an early Germanic Jaeger-style flintlock. I've shot deer with each of them. Another Pennsylvania longrifle is about 3/4 finished and has interchangeable cap and flint locks, but I haven't worked on it in more than twenty years. It began with a magnificent piece of curly maple a cabinetmaker friend in Ohio came across and gave me. I need to finish the carvings, make and install the sights, stain and seal the stock, and brown the barrel and lock.

Yes, I still own the rifle in the photo. In fact, I have every gun I've ever owned except for a .22 semi-auto Remington rifle I sold when I was in college and needed cash.

Bill Quimby

That was one neat looking buck. That buck was a heck of coues last year. I had a hunter miss him at 300 yds with a 257weatherby. I was guessing him in the 105-110 range last year. Glad my brother got him instead.

Hey Bill, I like the sound of "I own a Quimby". Maybe you should rethink that writing stuff.

Nhunter84

Welcome to the site. I was wondering if that beautiful buck you have in the gallery was related to your brothers current trophy. Were they taken in the same area?post-911-1226623773.jpg post-911-1226623759.jpg

man what a cool buck. whats the base mass on him. hes a neat buck you dont see a whole lot like him. great job ;)

Yeah pretty near each other. They could very well be related. I think we spotted the buck my brother killed for the first time the year after I killed that buck in the picture.