Cambow

Vortex Optics Truth

I'm between a Burris XTR3i, Bushnell DMR3 Elite Tactical, and Leupold Mark 5HD for my rifle I'm building. They're all somewhat heavy, but its going to be a dual purpose long-range shooting and hunting rig.

At any rate, Vortex is not on the list.

7 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

I'm between a Burris XTR3i, Bushnell DMR3 Elite Tactical, and Leupold Mark 5HD for my rifle I'm building. They're all somewhat heavy, but its going to be a dual purpose long-range shooting and hunting rig.

You won't be disappointed in the Leupold... I'm super-happy with all of mine and they tend be be fairly lightweight as well. I have four LRPs and three other Leupolds and they have all been stellar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cambow said:

You won't be disappointed in the Leupold... I'm super-happy with all of mine and they tend be be fairly lightweight as well. I have four LRPs and three other Leupolds and they have all been stellar.

I'm a fan of Leupold as well, but other than their Mark5 all of their scopes are better for hunting. Which is fine. I would just have a hard time pushing my rifle past 800 yards and I'd like to attempt 1200 yards or so with it. 

My buddy has the VX5HD firedots on his hunting rifles and it's very nice. Hopefully I'm able to pick one of those up too.

Good luck with your build... would love to see a photo when it's finished :)

21 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

Spent a day on the range with the Riton. It’s def worth a look. 

• Like 1

I can't believe I am posting this.... I bought a used rifle a couple fo weeks ago with a Vortex 4-12 Viper scope mounted on it. It was a decent deal and I've been wanting to try out a 6.5 Creedmoor... so I went ahead and made the purchase. My son came over last night and wanted to see it, so I got it out of the safe and showed it to him. Whattaya know... there are water droplets inside the scope. First and last Vortes ever!  Now I get to see first-hand how good their warranty really is... Shame on me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

The warranty is easy, call them and the will send you the shipping labels, box it and drop it off at UPS store.  The will probably send you a new upgraded one?

Thanks for the help.... sure appreciate it. About how long does it usually take from the time you send it until you get it back.

Wow... their warranty department really is stellar. Got give that part credit. My warranty issue was handled in 2-weeks total end-to-end! Anyone want to buy a brand new in the box 4-12 X 40 Viper with new sunshade?  LOL...

On 5/11/2023 at 5:04 PM, Savageman2506 said:

I'm a fan of Leupold as well, but other than their Mark5 all of their scopes are better for hunting. Which is fine. I would just have a hard time pushing my rifle past 800 yards and I'd like to attempt 1200 yards or so with it. 

My buddy has the VX5HD firedots on his hunting rifles and it's very nice. Hopefully I'm able to pick one of those up too.

I also have a vx5 hd 4-20x52 and is exceptional

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:49 PM, maximus said:

I also have a vx5 hd 4-20x52 and is exceptional

Can't go wrong with Leupold man... All most all of my rifles are sporting them now.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 11:33 AM, Cambow said:

I even had one guy say he would buy the higher end Bushnell scopes over Vortex.

High end bushnell is good stuff. The cheap stuff is crap,  but the higher end stuff is supposedly very good. 

I have been using alot of Burris lately. Veracity mostly, but I just got an XTR II. All are FFP and I really like them for the money. I have been finding them on sale mostly, and one was "used" on Amazon. It was basically a return that they couldn't sell as new, but saved me $200. 

I have a Vortex 6x24x50 HSLR, and it is OK, but I don't love it. I would take any of my Burris Veracity or XTRII over it any day, and they were all cheaper. I have Vortex binos and they are good for the price (Diamondbacks and Vipers) but even the 15x50 Viper HDs don't hold a candle to my buddies Zeiss Conquest 15s. I love my 8x42 Diamondbacks for quick chest carry in the field, but am going to have to upgrade my 15s since the Vipers are just OK. 

I have 5 Vortex products (1 scope, 4 bino) none have had to be warranties to be fair, but out of all of them the cheap Diamondbacks are my favorite. The times I spent more money on Viper 15x50s and Viper HSLR I haven't been impressed. 

I also bought an Arken 4x16x44 EPL4. I like it, but my Veracity 3x15x50 is more clear and the Arken got a blob in the scope after 40rds and had to go back for warranty. Was hoping for more, but we will see if the replacement holds up...can't put it on an important rifle though...can't trust it. 

I like leupold too. I have a 2x12x42 VX6 and really like it. They just don't do enough scopes in FFP so for me I have moved to other options. Super bummed they sold Redfield though. The Redfield Revolution was a great bargain scope. Basically a VX2 or VX3 for less money and had a better reticle. 

I recently picked up a Blackhound Optics, Evolve 5-25X56. I am very impressed and today just read a favorable review in, Industryoutsider on-line publication. This scope will be sitting on my Bergara B-14 6.5 CM. I can't wait to get it to the range. Must haves for me were, zero-stop,MOA,Illumination,Parallax,FFP, and aiming reticle. For well under a grand including the 34mm mounts, it is a deal.