Cambow

Vortex Optics Truth

Depends on what you are looking for in a scope.  Some mentioned in here are great scopes, but they are HEAVY.  I think the Zeiss v6 series is a really good compromise.  Excellent tracking reports, lighter weight and probably some of the best glass in the price range you want.  Nightforce are great at tracking, but the glass is meh and they are heavy.  The ATACR series has good glass, but adds even more weight.  

50 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Depends on what you are looking for in a scope.  Some mentioned in here are great scopes, but they are HEAVY.  I think the Zeiss v6 series is a really good compromise.  Excellent tracking reports, lighter weight and probably some of the best glass in the price range you want.  Nightforce are great at tracking, but the glass leaves is meh and they are heavy.  The ATACR series has good glass, but adds even more weight.  

This is great info... If i were making the decision today... I am leaning towards Zeiss at this point.

12 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I have a Vortex 6x24x50 HSLR I am considering selling. Good shape, but it is to high of power on the low side for me. I am going to step down to a 3x or 4x something. 

Let me know if you are interested. 

Thanks for the offer Amigo... but I am leaning away from Vortex at this point. Best of luck with your sale!

Yikes.   Buyer beware on that ad.   Brand new member posting a scope several hundred dollars cheaper than cheapest available online price.

16 minutes ago, stanley said:

Yikes.   Buyer beware on that ad.   Brand new member posting a scope several hundred dollars cheaper than cheapest available online price.

I just looked online and the Zeiss V4 Conquest in the 4-16 X 44mm config is on sale at Basspro and Cabelas for $799 right now. I might need to take a trip!

1 minute ago, Cambow said:

I just looked online and the Zeiss V4 Conquest in the 4-16 X 44mm config is on sale at Basspro and Cabelas for $799 right now. I might need to take a trip!

Ah.... OK.   I did a quick Google search, but it looks like there are various 'sub models', etc.  I must have looked at a slightly different model. ;) 

15 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

redhawkrifles.com and get a demo V6.  Glass is much better than the V4.  

Thanks for this tip... I'm gonna keep an eye on this site... very cool!

39 minutes ago, stanley said:

Whoops. Didn't even vet it.

4 hours ago, chuckster said:

Bushnell Elite DMR  Gen II, Gen III are a lot of scope for the money.  I'm making hits at 2000yards with my 338 edge and DMR II.  I have enough elevation to get to 2200yards with my current load.  I hear the glass is pretty dang good in the newer GEN III.  Scopes are built like tanks.  I replaced a Vortex PST II with a Bushnell LRTS on my 300 win mag.  Its working well for me at 1 mile.  

I bought both mine used, less than $800 a piece.

Those high end Bushnell's looks real nice. Wish they were available in MOA. I'm too stubborn to learn mils.

4 hours ago, chuckster said:

Bushnell Elite DMR  Gen II, Gen III are a lot of scope for the money.  I'm making hits at 2000yards with my 338 edge and DMR II.  I have enough elevation to get to 2200yards with my current load.  I hear the glass is pretty dang good in the newer GEN III.  Scopes are built like tanks.  I replaced a Vortex PST II with a Bushnell LRTS on my 300 win mag.  Its working well for me at 1 mile.  

I bought both mine used, less than $800 a piece.

I didn't realize Bushnell made high-end models like this... Good to know!

18 hours ago, Cambow said:

What do you guys think is the best long range scope under $2k?

The one you are running. The Leupold LRP I think is one of the best scopes made. Light weight, clear, simple to use, and reliable. Its too bad they don't make them any more. The VX5HD is the next step up and an awesome scope that still meets your under 2k criteria. 

2 minutes ago, STOMP442 said:

The one you are running. The Leupold LRP I think is one of the best scopes made. Light weight, clear, simple to use, and reliable. Its too bad they don't make them any more. The VX5HD is the next step up and an awesome scope that still meets your under 2k criteria. 

I will take a look... I thought they were like $2600 ish.