Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Bugling?

A bull was hot at it this morning at Woods Canyon Lake for probably 20 minutes.

I went up for the morning and passed a truck on the way back that had a 5x5 in the back.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, goinhuntn said:

Bugling was dead in 8 where we were. Heard 1 bugle Thursday night, nothing Friday, or Saturday. 2 Sunday morning & 1 Sunday night. Came home today to work & going back up Thursday night until I connect or run out of season. Good luck to all.

It's spotty but there are pockets going pretty good.

Bugle activity: Friday morning was decent, some bugles but shut down around 7:45am. Friday evening was crickets, not one bugle. Saturday morning was pretty quiet, only 2-3 bugles all morning. Saturday evening had 2-3 bugles. Sunday morning was a bit better, but still relatively quiet. 

Behavior: Elk were still herded up with big groups with many bulls in each herd. Bugling was pretty quiet and was not getting any response to calls (cow or bugle). They just seemed to be bugling randomly to let others know where they were. Saw a few bachelor herds with 3-5 6x6 bulls. This all tells me they're still tolerating each other and not quite fired up yet. When they get tired of each other and separate, game on.

• Like 3