Sign in to follow this  
mattobertin

Bucks chasing does???

Last Saturday firstcoueswas80 and I glassed up two big bucks, one spike, and a doe about a mile or so away. We were able to watch them for about 30 minutes or so and they were acting very strange. We would see them feeding and then all of the sudden they were off and running. Now the strange thing about that is it appeared that the two big bucks were chasing the doe! They would take off like a shot not really running from anything zig zagging up and down and all around the hillside.... :blink: stopping to feed here and there. I have seen deer play before but I thought this was strange behavior seeing how it is not even close too the rut. I guess my question is, has anyone ever seen this go on outside of the rut? Could it be possible that these two bucks don't give a rats arse what time of year it is and thought what the hey, this doe is mine??? They were'nt scrapping or any of that but everything else looked rutty to me!!! Both bucks are 100 inch give or take a few so it's not their first rodeo, I hunted these same bucks last year with no avail but am hoping to change all of that this Friday! ;) So what does everyone think??????

I think that maybe you should just keep watching them through this upcoming hunt, and on the late November hunt we could go check them out and see if they were rutting or not. :lol:

Seriously though, I hope you can score on them this year.

--Bill

These bucks were weird... When we first found them, ther was a big arse bobcat within 50 yards of them, but he didnt pay any attention to the deer at all as was on the move away from them. We were about a mile away, so they werent running because of us. They would all of a sudden stop, start feeding like nothing was happening then the doe would take off and BOOM! They were gone. It was weird for sure!

PS. The spike was a T.I.T... He had to have 8-10" spikes!

The buck my wife shot last week was fighting with another buck. I'm not talking just tickling eachother. They were full out fighting. They were plowing eachother around like it was the rut. Then finally one of them took off running like a whipped puppy, with the other one hot on his but.

I saw the same type of thing 2 years ago down in 36B. We sat there and watched a few bucks go at it for about 20 minutes with Does close by. Keep in mind this was also the October hunt when we saw it. Last week down in 36B on our hunt we saw quit a few bucks running with Does but could not seal the deal on any of them.

Seemed like early rut activity going on in 27. We watched bucks following does. Other days the bucks were still in groups sparring as I would expect for this time of year, but some mornings the bucks were separating and following does.

Amanda

The buck I shot appeared to have been spooked from higher up the road, but he was running behind a doe and fawn. I may post the story and pics, but he was about an 80" 4X4.

The spikes I saw weren't following the does, but were chasing them off. I saw one spike go on his back legs to punch at a doe with the front hooves. It was pretty funny. The best buck I saw (after I tagged out, while looking for a deer for pops) was all by himself, well unless you count the carp deer he was walking away from on his way to disappear and bed.

Wow I thought everyone was going to laugh at me for this post but it seems like there are quite a few people that have seen this! Pretty crazy I was under the impression deer did'nt even think about rutting until it was getting colder. It was still hotter than heck down there!

Found a very fresh scrape on Saturday. Still had deer whizz in it and the limb above had been chewed on.

Found a very fresh scrape on Saturday. Still had deer whizz in it and the limb above had been chewed on.

that reminds me that I saw a buck working a "licking branch" for quite awhile also.

Amanda

Dang Matt, and to think.. I wanted you to post this up so you looked like a dumbazz!!!

It was weird for sure.

Matt, remember those bucks I glassed up that you couldnt find because of the distance early in the morning? Well, I didnt tell you this, but I think they were sparring a little. But they werent getting all mean and vicious, they were just playing..

That sure is a lot of VERY eary pre-rut goin on.. Imagine if the rut kicks in about Nov. 28th... Oh man, AZGFD is going to be kicking their selves for all the tags that are out there for the "rut" (of course I know thats not going to happen)

"That sure is a lot of VERY eary pre-rut goin on.. Imagine if the rut kicks in about Nov. 28th... (of course I know thats not going to happen)"

We can hope can't we?

--Bill