bowhunter-tw

Are loads really bullet shape dependent??

.Lance is definitely  the guy to talk with. I would  guess it's  relative  to how close you are to max pressure. I'm loaded in the middle  of the book for powder but have a long barrel for a 7-08 at 26 inches .I'm  also running  lapua brass and barns copper. Lance is a super  cool guy and did answer  a lot of my questions  about loading  and rifle setup.I figure  I'll try my load suppressed  and see how the brass looks and how it shoots .I'm going  to run the chronograph  to see what it does for velocity. I WAS RUNNING  AT 3034 before .

On 10/13/2022 at 8:18 PM, bowhunter-tw said:

Interesting though the secant had higher velocity for same charge

Moving away from the rifling can produce higher velocity. This was Roy Weatherby's approach with long freebore producing higher velocity. Finding your relation of bullet to lands is best done by removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt and seating a bullet incrementally longer till it touches the lands. This is for bolt action firearms of course. Finding the "touch" for your rifle chamber is important from the standpoint of safety. Getting a bullet stuck while shooting a match or on a hunt can have drastic results and ruin that shooting experience! And no. Adding a suppressor is not plausible! Your bullet to lands measurement is not accurate or your load is too hot to begin with.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, L Cazador said:

Moving away from the rifling can produce higher velocity. This was Roy Weatherby's approach with long freebore producing higher velocity. Finding your relation of bullet to lands is best done by removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt and seating a bullet incrementally longer till it touches the lands. This is for bolt action firearms of course. Finding the "touch" for your rifle chamber is important from the standpoint of safety. Getting a bullet stuck while shooting a match or on a hunt can have drastic results and ruin that shooting experience! And no. Adding a suppressor is not plausible! Your bullet to lands measurement is not accurate or your load is too hot to begin with.

Spot on. 

it’s surprising how few know how Weatherby gets their velocity. 

3 hours ago, MMACFIVE said:

Spot on. 

it’s surprising how few know how Weatherby gets their velocity. 

Why wouldn't every manufacturer do that? More velocity, no chance of jamming a bullets into the lands, what's the negative?

8 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Why wouldn't every manufacturer do that? More velocity, no chance of jamming a bullets into the lands, what's the negative?

Increasing the jump to the lands is not necessarily the most accurate…

28 minutes ago, MMACFIVE said:

Increasing the jump to the lands is not necessarily the most accurate…

Doesn't Weatherby have a sub moa guarentee on most their guns, with some sub half?  I get that some bullets like being closer to lands, but some like a jump as well.

22 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Doesn't Weatherby have a sub moa guarentee on most their guns, with some sub half?  I get that some bullets like being closer to lands, but some like a jump as well.

Yes they do have a guarantee. You almost have to anymore in today’s marketing.  I believe their sub moa is with their ammo. 

I’ve never had a Wheatherby that wasn’t a good shooter.

is “sub moa” accurate enough anymore?