This is for everyone stuck at home and not hunting this weekend. Its a video of my younger brother 07 youth hunt in 33.

It all starts out with us finding 2 bucks a 2x2 and a good 3x3 at around 800 yards away. My brother has never shot at a deer before and he really liked the 3x3 so we dropped down into a steep canyon and worked our way towards the bucks. At first I didn't think it would take us more than 30 minutes to get set up on the buck but boy was I wrong. Besides running into a big ol rattler eating a rabbit the canyon was super thick and steep making it extremely difficult to be quite so we didn't spoke the bucks. Well about an hour later we finally made it to were the bucks were and by now the temp was already pushing 90 so the bucks more than likely bedded. Sure enough after 15 minutes of glassing I pick out just the antlers of the 3x3. The smaller 2x2 was also found about 15 yards from the 3x3 right in the middle of 3 mesquite trees.

Well we waited for another 15 minutes going over what we should do and because we were stuck out in the open with no shade it was very hot and not getting any cooler. My ol man and brother didn't want to wait in the sun anymore for the buck to finally stand up which could take hours. So we decided that I would go over and try to get him up with out spoking him too bad. Before I left I told my brother to wait for the buck to stop before shooting at him well in all the excitement he ended up shooting at the buck while it was walking and missed him. After the first shot the buck took 5 steps and stop perfectly broadside. My brother slowly pulls the trigger and click. Nothing! The gun didn't chamber another round after his first shot! By the time he gets another round loaded they lost track of the bucks as they worked their way down the hill. Talk about frustrating. I'm pretty sure if the gun would have loaded another round my brother would have got the buck on his second shot. After searching the hillside for any signs of a hit we spent rest of the day looking for this buck but unfortunately we never found him again.

The next day was the last day my brother could hunt so he just wanted to get his first deer. After passing on a very small spike and I mean very small I don't even think we could get the tag on his antlers. We glassed up 2 bucks working a fairly open hillside at about 1000 yards away. Both bucks were 2x2 which was fine for my brother. It took us about an hour to get to where we last saw the bucks. It took awhile but we finally found the 2 bucks bedded. The only problem was that we didn't have a clear shot so we slowly worked our way up the open hillside to get a better vantage point. We now had a good 100-150 yard shot at the bucks. This time my brother didn't miss.

It was an awesome hunt being able to go with my dad and brother. I was very happy to be there and help him get his first buck. Next time the big deer is going down!

Here's the link to the video http://vimeo.com/2181809

VERY, VERY, VERY cool video record of that hunt!!!! I just watched the whole thing (at work, in a meeting, no less.... LOL) and it was awesome!!!!

Thanks much for posting, and congrats to your brother!

S.

:)

That is just awesome. We need more videos like these. Congrats.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Coues Sniper the camera I was using was a Canon Xl2. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it because it was just too dang big to pack around.

Thanks again everyone hopefully I'll have some more video to share after the hunts this year. My family and I have 5 tags for the lat Nov. early Dec. hunts so maybe we'll get some good video.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Coues Sniper the camera I was using was a Canon Xl2. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it because it was just too dang big to pack around.

Thanks again everyone hopefully I'll have some more video to share after the hunts this year. My family and I have 5 tags for the lat Nov. early Dec. hunts so maybe we'll get some good video.

Yeah those are beefy. Great quality of course. I'm looking for a camera, but want something small enough not to notice in my pack ;)

Congrats again.

Wow great job on the video and congrats on the buck, way to stay with it.

Phil

Way cool! Nicely done video!