Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Turkey Decoys

4yrs using Montana Decoy (3) Miss Purrfect and (1) Jake Purrfect: collapsible, soft sided decoys, light weight, silent. While I haven’t used them every year I get a Tom, I have used them successfully and carry them every year I get a Tom tag. Soft fabric over an accordion like body. Wire neck and tail allows you to make unique presentations. If you have ever had a windshield sun protector kick your a** when trying to fold, you’ll know what I mean about how these fold down. After getting a hand of the fold, I carry (1) hen at my chest within a half zippered parka for fast set up when walking the forest. The balance of the flock take little room within a day pack if you want to set up in a blind. Can be used with the metal stake or simply placed on the ground/tree stump. Fabric has purposeful cuts in fabric to blow gently in wind like real feathers. It might not be THE BEST decoy avail and looks like a misfit stuffed animal… it does the job and is quickly deployable / packable. Here are some close up pics from our past hunts. Another tool in the toolbox.

2FE3261E-2D64-4B9E-AAFA-E474D232A88F.png

F91430AE-9A99-433D-8277-19A168B24AAC.png

211A26C7-5D55-4647-B74F-3FE5AE2D3632.png

https://www.davesmithdecoys.com/decoys/turkey-decoys/

These are pretty pricey but the quality is second to none. I've got a buddy that uses goose decoys from this company and it's hard to tell the difference between the real birds and decoys when they land. Super realistic. 

Read the thread TURKEY: First Time Oct 26. Comments from members are spot on to hear, find, and draw in the Tom. You should also be watching for signs of bird presence when they aren’t make a peep (or gobble). Look for bird turd. White question mark shape means Tom. White popcorn shape means Hen. (Pics attached). Foot prints in snow or mud wil be obvious. Feed scratching of pine needles will look like someone took a leaf rake to a 1’x1’ area. Bunch of feathers at the base of tree indicates their chosen roost tree and preening. One last pointer… as hard as it is to be actively hunting 1-1.5hrs before sunrise… on the 6th day, do it. Those are golden hours. Good luck, it’s so fun!

BC37879B-58FF-45B3-A2D1-4B591DFCF2C3.jpeg

F1050903-6F48-43B6-96BD-F014D39C6A08.jpeg

8463B9E8-9DB9-482B-A056-85BA52750527.jpeg

31A32E5F-2467-400B-BD43-6DCC1D15B7B9.jpeg

1F1B9F5A-723C-47C0-BBDA-6E2884D0A465.jpeg

• Like 3

Turkeys will either love decoys or hate them. I have had decoys ruin several hunts when it sends them running in the opposite direction. I am a caller and like calling turkeys and having them come looking for me and don’t use decoys much. Out of around 50 turkeys I have harvested 5 or less have been with decoys. The main situation I find myself using them is if I am hunting a real open area with lots of large meadows where you can see for hundreds of yards, or if I am out of state restricted to only a small section of private land. Pricing on decoys is just like everything else and is out of control $$$. I you really think you want one or two in my opinion the best ones are 1. DSD (Dave Smith Decoys) 2. Deception decoys 3. Avain-x decoys.

• Like 2

Decoys are a PITA to haul around. I use a box call and a mouth call and it isn't that hard to get a horny tom running to you. You can also just start walking to another location.  I would try not using them and if you don't have any luck then try using a couple. I have a hunt in unit 1 and just think turkeys are a blast to hunt. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1