Loner

Up hill shot aim low?

Say you have a 200 yd up hill shot, what is the best advice? Aim low? what about down hill? Most of my range work is done on level ground sighted in at 300 yds. Any advice?

Thank you,

Loner

if you're shooting steep, up or down, your trajectory will be high. how high depends on your rifle, the angle, the velocity and weight of the bullet, just about everything. at 200 yards, i wouldn't worry too much about it, if your using any kind of modern rifle with a fairly quick velocity. when you get at extended ranges, it gets real tricky. Lark.

Up or down hill shots will need to be compensated for vs. a flat shot. Most range finders do not compensate for degree of angle. So you will need to aim low on either shot. As mentioned before, your rifle zero and bullet trajectory will all be factors.

I over compensated for angle on the deer I shot 2 weeks ago. The range was 394 yards at a down hill angle, and I held as if it was 300, and I still shot 10" low and hit him in the elbow, the next shot I held at full yardage and made a good shot in the middle of the shoulder. So even though the angle was less than I thought, I way over compensated.

Im gonna get technical on ya so follow me, bullet drop is caused by gravity, gravity only acts perpendicular to the earths surface, so if you break your angled shot into both a horizontal and vertical componet, gravity only acts on the bullet for its horizontal path. If you multiply [cos(angle) times line of sight distance] that equals your horizontal componet which is the distance you should aim for. If your angle is postive for uphill or negative for downhill you still get the same answer so you will always have to aim low for both shots.

Thats a mathmatical explanation saying, yes aim low for both uphill and downhill, but take into cosideration the angle of the shot along with the line of sight distance.

bullet weight is not a factor for drop, if you have an orange in one hand and a bowlingball in the other, drop em, they hit the ground at the same time.

Brent,

Doing the math backwards, you originally held like there was a 40* slope, which is really steep.

cos 10*=0.98

cos 20*=0.94

cos 30*=0.87

cos 40*=0.77 (300/394=0.76)

Brent,

Doing the math backwards, you originally held like there was a 40* slope, which is really steep.

cos 10*=0.98

cos 20*=0.94

cos 30*=0.87

cos 40*=0.77 (300/394=0.76)

Yep, so if it was a 40 degree shot he would of been spot on, im guessing it was probably only 10 or 20 degrees

This is how you do it. I have seen it done by hunters a hundred times. just adjust your shot from the clouds of dust as you miss the buck. :lol: :lol: :lol: