Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

What is Colorado Mule deer like?

Hey guys, I wanted to eventually get into out of state hunting soon so I started looking up some hunts. One that really crossed my mind was colorado mule deer. I would do rifle. Probably 2nd rifle because I don't really have snow gear like 4x4 or a nice wall tent. But I would probably stay at a hotel my first few times going. What has been all of your guys experience if you've ever went? 

Would it be more of a pack in hunt? Or more of a hike in off a road or trailhead a few hills? Thanks!

Big ball of yarn there.   2nd season can be warm or it can be 4 feet of snow.  If you have been on any hunt in AZ and think there is a lot of other hunters you’ll be blown away by the number of hunters in colorados second and third season.  They have their deer and elk hunts at the same time.  And bull elk is over the counter.  I’ve hunted 5 different states and they are all kind of the same. 70% will be road hunters.  10% will backpack in as far as they can.  The other 20 will park and hunt from the road every day. 

most other states I’ve hunted after Oct 15 getting far into forest land without 4x4 and chains is difficult.  The terrain is way different than AZ.  

As for your last question.  It depends on the unit.  All those options are available.  Do some research on their website.  They have a great map that shows winter range summer range landowner ship etc. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

Big ball of yarn there.   2nd season can be warm or it can be 4 feet of snow.  If you have been on any hunt in AZ and think there is a lot of other hunters you’ll be blown away by the number of hunters in colorados second and third season.  They have their deer and elk hunts at the same time.  And bull elk is over the counter.  I’ve hunted 5 different states and they are all kind of the same. 70% will be road hunters.  10% will backpack in as far as they can.  The other 20 will park and hunt from the road every day. 

most other states I’ve hunted after Oct 15 getting far into forest land without 4x4 and chains is difficult.  The terrain is way different than AZ.  

As for your last question.  It depends on the unit.  All those options are available.  Do some research on their website.  They have a great map that shows winter range summer range landowner ship etc. 

Sounds good! Thank you! I keep looking into it more and more, and it kinda sounds like it might have to be a next year trip

Colorado is true work. And nonstop. Mature bucks are hard to come by with their CWD BS. It was -10 this year. It's heck on gear if you truly hunt.  

But it can yield rewards....

• Like 1

I know this is a year late but...We've hunted Colorado for the last 10 years and unfortunately it has been going downhill. With the reintroduction of wolves and the massive winter kill this year I'm not sure how the future looks. We didn't draw Colorado for the first time this year in a unit we had 100% odds. With that being said, we have killed some amazing deer in units that required 0-1 points. We've killed deer from the road and 6 miles in. Colorado has been special in regards to every unit having the potential to find a mature deer. It just been harder and harder every year to turn up bucks and point creep is very real and even more real after this year. If you're not looking for a monster it's a no brainer to enter the draw. 2nd and 3rd season are loaded with hunters no matter how far you go in. Big deer are typically very high or very low. They pass through the transition zone quick due to the pressure. PM me if you have questions

• Like 2

16 hours ago, regisranger said:

I know this is a year late but...We've hunted Colorado for the last 10 years and unfortunately it has been going downhill. With the reintroduction of wolves and the massive winter kill this year I'm not sure how the future looks. We didn't draw Colorado for the first time this year in a unit we had 100% odds. With that being said, we have killed some amazing deer in units that required 0-1 points. We've killed deer from the road and 6 miles in. Colorado has been special in regards to every unit having the potential to find a mature deer. It just been harder and harder every year to turn up bucks and point creep is very real and even more real after this year. If you're not looking for a monster it's a no brainer to enter the draw. 2nd and 3rd season are loaded with hunters no matter how far you go in. Big deer are typically very high or very low. They pass through the transition zone quick due to the pressure. PM me if you have questions

I've never applied for those hunts, but a friend who does told me on Friday that he didn't get drawn and was bummed as he always gets a tag.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, regisranger said:

The future of hunting. "What happened to hunting? I moved here ten years ago to get away and drive my side by side 70 mph down dirt roads and I can't shoot anything off the side of the road anymore.. and the local native born guys are rude and my vagina hurts because of it.

• Like 1