Sign in to follow this  
minguscoues

access to santa teresa mountains

has anyone hunted the santa teresas in unit 31. can you access them on black rock road out of fort thomas? i know that a section of this road passes through the san carlos, and was just wondering if i can pass through? thanks.

Ft Grant or Ft Thomas?

I think you mean Ft Thomas. I believe there may be acess via Black Rock rd near Ft Thomas this would be on the Northeast end of the range. I have never been in from that direction. so I can't speak from expierience.

There is also access off of the Klondike Aravipa road and this is the way I go.

Hope that helps a little.

I know to cross the San Carlos reservation you need a permit as you mentioned. If memory serves me though it is only like 7 dollars. May have gone up since I bought one. You can get them at the Shell station in Pima. I had the joy of purchasing a couple to cross through the reservation near Lower Eagle Creek. If they haven't gone up and you can still purchase them at the Shell in Pima it might be worth it if you know for sure you get where your going.

As Dennis Miller says though, "Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong".

and right when you get off the res expect to run in to locked gates. at least it was that way this time last year.

A guy I talked to from G&F in Tucson said that he recommended buying the access permit in the San Carlos Recreation Mgmt office and telling them exactly what you were planning to do - also to get the name of the person you spoke to. That way, if it did become an issue you would at least have some leverage.

thanks for all the info. i would like to get to that side of the teresas to check things out. that is a good idea to actually go to the mngmt office and get the permit, and document everything. thanks again everyone.

The indians have a special permit just that exact scenario. Black Rock and Goodwin wash are both in the CLOSED area (D) so you cannot even stop your truck to take a leak. Stay on the road and get off the rez and you are ok.

If you are on other parts of the rez that are not closed, you can trespass with other permits such as a small game, predator or even a fishing license. Not so in unit D.

What about the little two and a half mile stretch on the side with telegraph was. I am going to be crossing that. Am i going to need a permit to do that little spot.

I hunted the Telegraph area earlier this month and you do need a permit to cross that section of Res. Once you get off the Res, the road will run into a ranch and the access is limited from there. You might be able to take the road tthat bypass the ranch to the north a bit, but you will need a 4X4 and it will only take you about another 3/4 of a mile. If you purchase a permit, you will have access to Jackson.

Also, if you plan on hunting more than one day, you will need a permit for both the day you arrive and the day you left. So, make sure you do some planning ahead or buy the permits for every day that you plan on hunting.