willd

1946 Winchester Model 70 .270 For Trade

Looking to trade my 1946 Model 70 in .270. It's a beautiful rifle but a little too heavy for my liking and honestly a little too nice to hunt with. Looking to trade it for something a little newer and lighter also chambered in .270. 

Great opportunity for someone to get a classic rifle that will last a lifetime.

Leupold scope is not included and I'm not interested in any Remington 700's without significant cash on top to upgrade the trigger and safety. Would prefer something like a Kimber, Colt Sauer or even a custom build if done right. Would also prefer any trade to have a wood stock as well, laminate stock would be a plus. 

PM If interested! 

IMG_0975.JPEG

IMG_0976.JPEG

IMG_0977.JPEG

IMG_0978.JPEG

IMG_0979.JPEG

IMG_0980.JPEG

IMG_0981.JPEG

IMG_0982.JPEG

Edited by willd
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Savageman2506 said:

Beauty of a rifle. 

However, wood stock and light don't generally go together. 

GLWS

Thanks Savageman! 

I know a composite stocked rifle would be much lighter, but I'm looking for something in the 7-7.5 lb range which many wood stocked guns fall in. This gun currently weights in at 9,5 lbs empty which is just way too heavy for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, willd said:

Thanks Savageman! 

I know a composite stocked rifle would be much lighter, but I'm looking for something in the 7-7.5 lb range which many wood stocked guns fall in. This gun currently weights in at 9,5 lbs empty which is just way too heavy for me. 

Yeah, those M70's are heavy for sure. Solid rifles though, especially the pre-64's like yours. 

• Like 2

Is the stock full original length with the steel buttplate and do you perhaps still have the original rear sight and front sight hood?  I see the bolt has been nicely jeweled and polished like a Supergrade M70. Cash price perhaps?

Original Standard grade M70s were advertised as 7.5 lbs but of course varied by caliber and density of the wood stock.

Thanks.

• Like 1

If you can locate a Ruger M77 Ultralight in .270 Winchester, that rifle would match your desire for a similarly styled bolt gun with a classic wood stock and be lighter in weight overall. It hasn’t been manufactured in a number of years and isn’t in Ruger’s current catalog, maybe a gunbroker search could turn one up. I have found laminate stocks to be close in weight to standard wood stocks given similar shape, if not a smidge heavier.

Have you thought of going with a lighter replacement stock and keeping your ‘46 era Win M70? That, along with lightweight Talley mounts and rings and a lightweight carry strap would shave some weight from your proven, older-gal and keep her in the woods and your family. These heirloom rifles just do not have the appeal to the younger, modern-minded hunters as they did to our generation who thought the world of the pre-war and pre-64 M70 Winchesters. They were, after all, known as The Rifleman’s Rifle.

You may find it easier to sell the rifle outright here to a member and then use the cash to purchase your next rifle. Good luck in your search!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AZJR said:

If you can locate a Ruger M77 Ultralight in .270 Winchester, that rifle would match your desire for a similarly styled bolt gun with a classic wood stock and be lighter in weight overall. It hasn’t been manufactured in a number of years and isn’t in Ruger’s current catalog, maybe a gunbroker search could turn one up. I have found laminate stocks to be close in weight to standard wood stocks given similar shape, if not a smidge heavier.

Have you thought of going with a lighter replacement stock and keeping your ‘46 era Win M70? That, along with lightweight Talley mounts and rings and a lightweight carry strap would shave some weight from your proven, older-gal and keep her in the woods and your family. These heirloom rifles just do not have the appeal to the younger, modern-minded hunters as they did to our generation who thought the world of the pre-war and pre-64 M70 Winchesters. They were, after all, known as The Rifleman’s Rifle.

You may find it easier to sell the rifle outright here to a member and then use the cash to purchase your next rifle. Good luck in your search!

To be honest if I don't find a trade that is interesting enough to swap I'm going to rebarrel it with a Pac-Nor featherweight contour barrel and slap it in an Accurate Innovations laminate stock. I will replace the bottom metal with the aluminum featherweight ones and go to talley's as suggested. 

I'm actually of the younger generation you speak of, and have nothing but respect for the craftmanship and utility this rifle offered for years. Thinking of letting it go does bother me but I figured I'd give someone a chance to take it in it's original form to keep it's heritage going. 

Edited by willd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

Is the stock full original length with the steel buttplate and do you perhaps still have the original rear sight and front sight hood?  I see the bolt has been nicely jeweled and polished like a Supergrade M70. Cash price perhaps?

Original Standard grade M70s were advertised as 7.5 lbs but of course varied by caliber and density of the wood stock.

Thanks.

It doesn't have the original butt plate but does have a Winchester recoil pad. I know some came with them from the factory but not sure if this one is original. Not looking to sell outright quite yet, but may change my mind in the future. 

5 hours ago, willd said:

It doesn't have the original butt plate but does have a Winchester recoil pad. I know some came with them from the factory but not sure if this one is original. Not looking to sell outright quite yet, but may change my mind in the future. 

Thank you.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:28 PM, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

Thanks.

This guy know's his guns!!

I have a Sig Sauer 200 w/kevlar stock in 270 winchester, accurate rifle, very smooth action,  but also heavy. I guess that would throw a trade out the window. 

Not to hijack by any means.  But I have a 270 model 70 from 1938.  Does anyone know the approximate value?  

Free bump

21 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Not to hijack by any means.  But I have a 270 model 70 from 1938.  Does anyone know the approximate value?  

Free bump

Post some pictures

13 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Free bump

It all depends on condition, if it's all original, and caliber. Pre war 270 will run anywhere from 900-$2000 today. All pre war rifles had only two holes drilled and tapped on front of receive so if the receiver has a scope mounted it could be worth 50 % less.