Ya I teach school and I could get pinned down in a hurry. I was thinking that as a joke but in todays world it is too close to home to be saying I guess. :) :)

I am still trying to decide but I really appreciate the info.

Kel-Tec .380...its the size of the palm of your hand and its a semi-auto

Kel-Tec .380...its the size of the palm of your hand and its a semi-auto

I strongly reccomend the Ruger LCP in .380 thats what my dad carries now, he switched over from a glock 27, its an awesome shooter, very very impressed with the accuracy from the short barrel, Highly reccomended. :)

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/

For personal defense, and as a sidearm for hunting in areas where bear and lion are common, I wouldn't trust a .380. I'm not surprised by the post about a guy getting shot by one 4 times and running off. It is a pretty low powered load. In fact, I just watched a program on the Walther PPK and one thing they said about it was that in some situations, it would be hard pressed to penetrate a heavy overcoat. That's not good. I'd look to a 9mm at minimum, and more probably a .40 S&W or .357 SIG. As to what to buy, there are too many options and opinions you can get. I am a H&K guy myself, and a buddy I have swears by Kimber. These are both high dollar pistols ... but very reliable and accurate. Remember that you get what you pay for. Stay with a tried and true name. Research the models that you are considering carefully. You can't be too careful with a decision like this that involves your personal safety ... be it in the home or in the field. Good luck.

Get what you like and what feels good in YOUR hand. Remember you get what you pay for, so go with a good name.

If it doesn't feel good, you won't carry it in the long run. (been there, done that)

As for size, the old saying still fits, a hit with a .22 is better that a miss with a .45!

One of the guests at a Christmas party I attended is a trauma surgeon in a big city hospital , he made mention of the fact that he had been up late the night before , successfully operating on some guy who had been shot with 357 mag . He then said "It's a lot harder to save the ones shot by something that starts with 4".

I'm just relaying what Doc said to me . I have a 357 and I dont feel undergunned when I carry it , but I would lean toward something bigger than 380 or 32 .

i have pistols in ever configuration there is and in a lotta different calibers. i'm as confident with a .22 as any of em. especially in an auto. you can shoot em real accurate, even at fairly long ranges, they don't blast your ears, don't kick and are easy to carry. and ammo is real cheap. i've killed coyotes at 100 yards with my ruger. several of em. i'd dang sure take a .22 over a .380. you hafta get real good with a big centerfire to do better than you can do with a .22. and you hafta shoot a big centerfire a lot to keep up on it. they will all get the job done, but i really like .22 autos. and don't let anyone tell you they ain't deadly, because a .22 is one bad deal to get shot with, especially when the guy doin' the shootin' knows what he's doin'. Lark.