Sign in to follow this  
wklman

They Call me Hunter by Hunter Wells

Hey Bill,

If his neice doesn't want the copy you have, I will take it.

Amanda

Thanks, Amanda.

Let's give her today to contact me. It would be nice to know that Hunter's niece has the book. If she doesn't reply, the book is yours. Do you still have my address?

Bill Quimby

I just ordered a copy from Amazon...looking forward to reading it this spring when im at home and wishing i was out hunting!

Hey Bill,

If his neice doesn't want the copy you have, I will take it.

Amanda

Thanks, Amanda.

Let's give her today to contact me. It would be nice to know that Hunter's niece has the book. If she doesn't reply, the book is yours. Do you still have my address?

Bill Quimby

I am in no hurry, so give her all the time she needs to decide. I would love for her to have it too.

Maybe I will send her a PM to make sure she sees your offer.

yes, I have your address.

Amanda

As others have said, "They Call Me Hunter" is a great book. I too could not put it down till I was done. There are a couple of other GREAT hunting books authored by men from right here in southern Arizona.

1) "Lucky Shot" Favorite Hunting Stories of an Arizona Sportsman by Layne A. Brandt.

2) "The Life & Times of Ollie Barney" An Autobiography by an Arizona Native Son by Ollie Barney.

I highly recommend all three of these books. I have read the first two & I'm about half way done with the third.

Mark:

I've not seen Layne's book, but Ollie's has some flaws, including a need for serious editing, and at least one of his tales simply was not true.

For example, his book says I was the outdoor writer for the Arizona Daily Star (the competitor of the Tucson Citizen where I was outdoor editor) and that I had issued a challenge to see who would get a lion first -- Tom Foust (the Star's outdoor editor he was guiding) or Gene Clayburn (the houndsman he called "Oklahoma") whom I was hunting with. He must have dreamed this story because it never happened. Neither Gene nor I would be so presumptuous as to say such a thing. Ollie was the undisputed champion Arizona lion hunting guide of his era. As it happened, he eventually guided me to my only lion after Gene moved out of state.

Others may enjoy the chapter on his World War II military service, but Ollie's claim that killing Japanese soldiers allowed him to say he had hunted on six continents, along with gory details, repulsed me.

However, none of this detracts from the fact that Ollie was one of Arizona's greatest houndsmen and international big game hunters and a character of the first order.

Bill Quimby

I just ordered a copy from Amazon...looking forward to reading it this spring when im at home and wishing i was out hunting!

Eric,

Let me know how you like it... i may try to borrow it some time! ;)

If Hunters niece is still in search of a copy of "They call me hunter" I will gladly give her the copy I have to keep. I have read it and will happily pass it on to Hunters kin if it means something to her. Please respond in a PM and it is yours...Thanks

Eric,

Let me know how you like it... i may try to borrow it some time! ;)

Sounds good!

I have read the book,and as was stated,he was quite the character.He grew up in Dewey,Humbolt.His dad,Fred has passed on,but his mother is still teaching engraving at Yavapai College in Prescott.

• Like 1

"Others may enjoy the chapter on his World War II military service, but Ollie's claim that killing Japanese soldiers allowed him to say he had hunted on six continents, along with gory details, repulsed me."

Some people just dont have the heart or the balls to do what many of our veterans had to do... God Bless Ollie! The hunting of man is like no other hunting... Once you do it, you never want to do anything else.

"Others may enjoy the chapter on his World War II military service, but Ollie's claim that killing Japanese soldiers allowed him to say he had hunted on six continents, along with gory details, repulsed me."

Some people just dont have the heart or the balls to do what many of our veterans had to do... God Bless Ollie! The hunting of man is like no other hunting... Once you do it, you never want to do anything else.

I have known many men who were involved in bloody combat across Europe, on South Pacific islands, and in Korea and Vietnam, including several who suffered horrible wounds. To my knowledge, not one of those men bragged about killing the enemy, nor did any say he wanted to do nothing else.

Although I thank God that it was never required of me, I do have the heart and balls to do whatever is necessary to protect my family, friends and country.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I read it a few years back. As I live up here in Prescott, it was interesting that I know alot of folks in the tales and being familiar with most of the locations where the stories take place.

Do u know, Fred wells and Rachel Wells? or the Wells Sport Store?

I have read the book,and as was stated,he was quite the character.He grew up in Dewey,Humbolt.His dad,Fred has passed on,but his mother is still teaching engraving at Yavapai College in Prescott.

While I have yet to read the book in question I did have the opportunity to meet Fred and Rachael Wells about 20 years ago at the Gun Shop in Prescott. A friend of mine was friends to one of Fred's grandson's (can't remeber the name) and took me down there. I do remember Fred working on a custom 50 caliber rifle at the time and him telling both of us that one time Hank Williams Jr. had approached him and offered him $10,000 to build a custom rifle as quick as possible. Fred told him that he would have to get in line and the line was quite long. Needless to say Hank Williams Jr. never got the rifle. I also remember Rachael showing me a .22 caliber rifle that she had engraved and donated to the Prescott Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation for their banquet. Miraculously her grandson had won it back at the banquet. She also showed me a book of about 20 Master (?) Engravers of which 19 were men and one woman which happened to be her.

Here is a short story about Fred and his shop.

http://fredwellsoldplace.blogspot.com/2009/04/octogenarian-riflemaker-whos-got-10.html

This is an awesome book. I am proud to say that the tiny little blurb about " some good ol' boys in south phoenix with a few good dogs..." refers to my Dad (RIP). I was shocked to see that you cant touch it for less than $78 now a days.

At the very first sportsmans expo in Phoenix some of his family was there selling audio tapes of Hunter, must have been around 2002, and I bought the set of three cassette tapes. I was at a friends house hunting years before that and started reading the book but could never find it to buy so was happy to get the tapes. To listen to him talk he sounded like he was in his 70, remind me of hearing stories from my grandfather. Each tape was dedicated to a species that he hunted, elk, mule deer and lion. I have listened to them over and over, he is quite comical. sorry to say my new truck doesn't have a cassette player.

I have a cousin that grew up around Hunter and said he was a bit of a exaggerator teller so not to believe all those stories.