Sign in to follow this  
WAAZ

Hunting Turkeys in New Mexico 2023

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a turkey hunting trip in New Mexico (last minute) as my Washington plans just fell through today...

Hoping to get some general recommendations from y'all..  Specifically, I'm looking for advice on areas to hunt/camp. I'm open to any suggestion, not looking for someone's spot just a point in the right direction, so i can start browsing on onX.

Please don't hesitate to share any experiences and recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

15 or so years ago, I saw more turkeys in unit 34 south of Cloudcroft than any other place I have ever been.  The road south out of town goes along a narrow meadow and there were Tom's all along the drive strutting right out in the wide open at multiple spots.  We couldn't hunt them because they were all on private land.  Unit 34 has lots of private land and got to be such a big hassle that we never returned.   Anytime I travel out of state to hunt or fish, I come back with a better appreciation of Arizona and all our public land.  Good Luck

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WAAZ said:

Anyone familiar with the Gila, or have any places to recommend around there to get on birds?

If New Mexico is anything like AZ right now good luck getting into the forested areas by the 15th.

• Like 2

just got back from my NM trip second year now and it was tough again. was in unit 15 a lot of water this year but no tracks on tanks an couldn't get birds to talk. everyone I spoke with said the same an have seen major decline in the border units. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwarovskiCoues said:

just got back from my NM trip second year now and it was tough again. was in unit 15 a lot of water this year but no tracks on tanks an couldn't get birds to talk. everyone I spoke with said the same an have seen major decline in the border units. 

I have heard the same. Hope this year they improve with the moisture. Definitely need to do some predator calling over their, coyotes are everywhere.

1 hour ago, SwarovskiCoues said:

2 tags over the counter doesn't help the population. Lots of AZ hunters who didn't draw a Gould's tag looking to go somewhere close. 15A has always been a hard unit for me. Look at some other units with steeper harder to hunt areas where other hunters don't go and you will find more birds, or go deeper into NM. I was always amazed at how many birds we would see just across the border in AZ on our way home. 

• Like 1