InsaneBoost

Cooler Size Question

150QT should be enough, IMO.    I vote for using dry ice and sealing-it up good!   Should be good for 4 days.   Check it at the 1/2 way mark to be sure, and add a little more dry ice if needed.  Should still be frozen rock solid.

+1 on ice cream stops for kids!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Savageman2506 said:

It depends on how the meat is packaged, but I'd say you'll be close. You can fit a good-sized cow elk in a 150 quart cooler but not much room for ice. It was quartered, so probably 150ish lbs of meat. You might want to bring an extra 60 quart or so just in case. It's definitely big enough for an entire deer.

Another tip is to duct-tape the lid down expect for a small vent, so it holds in as much cold as possible. Don't want it air-tight or it'll pop itself. Dry ice also releases C02, so you'll want to be careful about that if it's in an enclosed space like a car.

Valid point on the C02. It is going to be in the back of an SUV, so maybe I should just steer towards ice. The meat is packaged in vacuum sealed bags, so water won't be an issue when ice melts. Was just hoping to now have to go with the draining and refilling of ice, but, I think that's a no brainer now.

4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

If you get a big igloo cooler you can double  insulate the cooler . There is you tube info on it . I used the pink hard foam board from home depot about 25 bucks a sheet . Cut it to fit top ,bottom  and four sides . Shot a pig in California  and it was on ice in the cooler for a week no problem.  Use a trash bag to bag and tie off the ice so you keep the water off the meat and your good.

Didn't even know that was a thing. I'll look into that on YouTube and see what to do. Smart thinking on the trash bags. These are in vacuum sealed bags though so water isn't a huge issue, more just about the mess/draining.

2 hours ago, stanley said:

150QT should be enough, IMO.    I vote for using dry ice and sealing-it up good!   Should be good for 4 days.   Check it at the 1/2 way mark to be sure, and add a little more dry ice if needed.  Should still be frozen rock solid.

+1 on ice cream stops for kids!

As another user said the C02 is an issue in the vehicle so I'm probably going to have to go with ice, but, it's good to know that dry ice should have worked. Will check ice at end of each day. I did something similar a few years back, but it was in winter and I had barely any ice melt which was nice.

Have to make the kids happy somehow haha.

• Like 1

Another option if pulling a trailer. My father-in-law put a chest freezer on the front of his flatbed trailer after a moose hunt in Alaska. He plugged it in via an extension cord at the hotels/camp sites he stayed at on the long drive home. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InsaneBoost said:

Valid point on the C02. It is going to be in the back of an SUV, so maybe I should just steer towards ice. The meat is packaged in vacuum sealed bags, so water won't be an issue when ice melts. Was just hoping to now have to go with the draining and refilling of ice, but, I think that's a no brainer now.

use blocks of ice, not cubes, they'll last longer. Also, drain it whenever you stop for the night and again in the morning. That will keep your meat in the best shape. You'll probably have to restock on ice at least once

• Like 1

A 7cf chest freezer can be bought for less than most decent quality 150qt coolers. Plug it in at a motel or take a small generator.

33 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

use blocks of ice, not cubes, they'll last longer. Also, drain it whenever you stop for the night and again in the morning. That will keep your meat in the best shape. You'll probably have to restock on ice at least once

While we're on this topic, I see some people say bottom and top of cooler for ice, others say just the top is necessary. Any thoughts on that? I always felt bottom and top was better, but if it's better to have it all on top then I'll do that.

5 minutes ago, dse said:

A 7cf chest freezer can be bought for less than most decent quality 150qt coolers. Plug it in at a motel or take a small generator.

Valid point. Unfortunately I don't have a truck, and I'd end up spending another $500+ for the trailer rental and adding a hitch to the vehicle. Though this is something to think about with my other vehicle that does have a hitch. Though I've been told because it's modified Uhaul won't allow it to be used with my vehicle.

Another tip that came with my Canyon cooler was to "precool" it. Throw a block of ice in it the day before you add the meat because a room temp cooler draws the cold out until the inside walls are cool.

Enjoy that beef!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, InsaneBoost said:

While we're on this topic, I see some people say bottom and top of cooler for ice, others say just the top is necessary. Any thoughts on that? I always felt bottom and top was better, but if it's better to have it all on top then I'll do that.

I don't think it matter much either way, although more ice wont hurt. The precooling comment is probably a good idea.

1 hour ago, HorseHunter said:

Another tip that came with my Canyon cooler was to "precool" it. Throw a block of ice in it the day before you add the meat because a room temp cooler draws the cold out until the inside walls are cool.

Enjoy that beef!

Not sure why I never thought of that, makes a lot of sense. Will be sure to do this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Savageman2506 said:

I don't think it matter much either way, although more ice wont hurt. The precooling comment is probably a good idea.

Okay, same thought I had, if I can fit it I'll do just that. Also yes, agreed on the precooling, will be doing that for sure.

You could also wrap the cooler in a fluffy blanket. Its pretty much insulation.

What part of PA you going to? Grew up there. Only thing I miss is the food.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You could also wrap the cooler in a fluffy blanket. Its pretty much insulation.

What part of PA you going to? Grew up there. Only thing I miss is the food.

Good to know. Wasn't sure if that would or wouldn't help. Small town near Bedford.

• Like 1