Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

6 more days!!

6 more days till  I hit the road  for texas .I wish  I was more prepared  . So far I've got my ar10 put back together  with  the scope I took  off . That thing  shoots great. I've got the ar15 outfitted  with a night vision  scope the wife bought  for me  ( suprize). Got the 7-08 ready . Just need to mount the thermal scope on the wife's ar15 I plan on slipping  in the mix of guns. Thursday  is the day we are leaving  and still  alot to do. The wife thought  it was a great idea to have the outside  of the house painted . So I've got cameras and lights to re install . Still need to prep all the rest of my gear and clothes.  16 hours in the truck for  hogs on my dad's buddies  place. Rain is in the forecast  so hopefully  the hogs are moving  . We have only one rule ( shoot all you see).

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Sounds like fun. It would have bene nice to have a new moon for night hunting. I took my son a few years ago north of Waco and had a great time.

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Sounds like fun. It would have bene nice to have a new moon for night hunting. I took my son a few years ago north of Waco and had a great time.

Aaron  my dad's buddy  has us set for a full moon  . The premise  was to be able to use the illuminated  reticle in the scopes on the 7-08 and the ar10 for nights . With the wife springing for a NV scope it won't matter   and then there is the thermal  scope . Never used either  so it's all new to me. But for the 5 or 6 hundred  bucks the wife spent on the sightmark  it should  get me a hundred  or so yds in the total dark.  The thermal  I haven't looked  thru at night yet but youtube has some great videos  on them .

48 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Aaron  my dad's buddy  has us set for a full moon  . The premise  was to be able to use the illuminated  reticle in the scopes on the 7-08 and the ar10 for nights . With the wife springing for a NV scope it won't matter   and then there is the thermal  scope . Never used either  so it's all new to me. But for the 5 or 6 hundred  bucks the wife spent on the sightmark  it should  get me a hundred  or so yds in the total dark.  The thermal  I haven't looked  thru at night yet but youtube has some great videos  on them .

We used AR-10'a with Pulsar scopes. Hunted from sundown until 4AM driving around until the "guide" spotted them through a monocular then we would stalk them on foot from 300 to 800 yards.

It was a bit overcast and no moon which made stalking easier since they couldn't see us by the light of the moon. We went in late October. We probably drove an easy 50 miles or more.

• Like 2

Today is the day !!! Up and loaded still not 100% set  . Thermal is on at 25 yds bit I'll have to try another  trick to get it set further. On the road early to get  my buddy  . 16 hours to texas here we come.

20230531_160836.jpg

20230531_231914.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

Amarillo  texas pit stop

20230601_132140.jpg

Curious as to how it was. I stayed in Amarillo a few years ago on my way to hunt Rio's in OK. I decided not to eat there are the reviews were all over the place. Nice Ole 55.

8 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Food wasn't  bad . Steak was tender and service was OK. Saw one pig yesterday  on neighbors  property  

Good Luck.

Deer everywhere  . Only seen two hogs where we can't  shoot. Still at it but might  have missed  them coming  thru as there was a few groups  coming  thru a month or two ago . No high fence so they come and go. Some pictures . We couldn't  do much night hunting  as every time  we would go out a storm would  roll in . I'm not worried  about rain but the lightning  had us back at camp. Good thing  is I was told I could come back anytime.  So I'm already  planning  a return trip in the cooler weather  as it was hot and humid .

20230605_072156.jpg

20230604_185527.jpg

20230602_081946.jpg

• Like 4

I'd pay for a different ranch.  Too many other costs associated to get skunked in Texas.  I've been a handful of times and always came home with hogs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I'd pay for a different ranch.  Too many other costs associated to get skunked in Texas.  I've been a handful of times and also came home with hogs.

Sounds like it was maybe more of a vacation with the hopes of getting some hogs. Love a good road trip.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:59 AM, Crazymonkey said:

We have only one rule ( shoot all you see).

12 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Only seen two hogs where we can't  shoot. 

Broke your own rule.