Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unsuccessful hunter in 22S in 2022?

On 6/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, DUG said:

So, while we're on the subject of sheep. I'm a non-resident with 24 sheep points. Do I have a better chance of drawing a tag with 24 points than a resident with 24 points? I've had people tell me either way. Guess it depends how many non-residents put in for the same hunts as me? Thanks for any insight.

Most likely less chance because it’s a Max 10% of all sheep tags to non-residents not a guaranteed 10%. So by the time all tags are allocated non-residents May end up with less than 10% of the tags.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, HighschoolHunter said:

Curious if the OP drew his tag. Hasn’t been a single verified CWT member with a sheep hit yet as far as I’m aware 

I didn't draw in 2023, but my wife did draw in 2022 with only 13 points.  :)  She spent opening day in the ER with kidney stones.  She finally killed a great looking ram on the 23rd day of the season.

This thread really blew up...ha ha.  One thing I will say, don't believe everything you read on this thread.  I've been researching sheep draw tags in all of the western states since the early 1980s.  My immediate family has drawn 10 sheep tags as a result, with 7 of those coming in the last 17 years.  I can tell you that the draw system in Arizona is the best is the western US.  It rewards those that faithfully apply each year and still everyone has a reasonable chance.  My son drew Arizona with 4 points in 2008 and my wife drew with 13 points in 2022.

As far as nonresidents applying in Arizona, their odds are worse than residents due to two factors.  First, there is a nonresident cap, so once the cap is reached, no more nonresidents will draw that year.  Second, no sheep tags are specifically allocated for nonresident only.  Understanding the draw system is the first hurdle to drawing a tag, because as others have mentioned, if you apply in a way that no tags are available (like a top tier sheep unit in Arizona that requires max points), you've just removed yourself from the draw right out of the gate.

• Like 1