Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unsuccessful hunter in 22S in 2022?

The worst hunting mistake I ever made was my decision to save a few bucks in my 20's and not buy a hunting license the very first year the bonus point system started.  Now, at the young age of 59, I've finally caught up and with 33 points, and last year was solidly in the bonus pass for sheep.  The premier desert sheep units are now on my radar.  

Here's my question.  I'm interested in what is going on in 22S.  There were two hunters in 22S last year and one killed a 167 6/8 ram.  There is not a second ram listed in the harvest report, so it appears that hunter didn't kill.  I know a bit about the ram that was taken and they harvested on day 5 and had trouble finding the class rams that unit has been known for.  The other hunter must have hunted 10 days, since a total of 15 hunting days are shown on the harvest report.  Do any of you now the story of the hunt where a ram wasn't taken?  Did they have any good opportunities?

7 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Idk. But a dude didn’t kill on the 22 rocky either

I heard some second hand info on the 22S hunter.  Apparently he had his eye on a certain ram and wasn't able to get it done with him.  It seems the unit really fell off last year.

• Wow! 1

19 minutes ago, Umpqua said:

I heard some second hand info on the 22S hunter.  Apparently he had his eye on a certain ram and wasn't able to get it done with him.  It seems the unit really fell off last year.

And he only gave it 10 days of a 30 day hunt?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Idk. But a dude didn’t kill on the 22 rocky either

2nd hand info but I heard the rocky hunter only hunted a couple of days and quit. 😥

• Sad 2
  • Wow! 1

I think sometimes the tag holders are so old by the time they draw they cant get their walkers and oxygen tanks up the mountain. 

• Like 14

On 5/31/2023 at 9:36 AM, JSR said:

I think sometimes the tag holders are so old by the time they draw they cant get their walkers and oxygen tanks up the mountain. 

Unfortunately, I've seen this more times than I've cared to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSR said:

I’m not to that point yet but I am not who I once was. It’s why I am done applying for sheep. They don’t do much for me anyway. Not like a 200” burro buck does. 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, creed said:

I’m not to that point yet but I am not who I once was. It’s why I am done applying for sheep. They don’t do much for me anyway. Not like a 200” burro buck does. 

I have to agree , sheep really don’t do it for me either, went with my buddy once , seen a bunch of sheep , he killed one the first day , pretty dumb animals in my opinion, none of them even ran lol

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, creed said:

It’s hard to get excited over things you can’t have. Can hunt deer every year, ram is kinda untouchable 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, EarlyBronco said:

I have to agree , sheep really don’t do it for me either, went with my buddy once , seen a bunch of sheep , he killed one the first day , pretty dumb animals in my opinion, none of them even ran lol

most animals wouldn't budge if they were barely hunted once a year. like muleys and elk in neighborhoods etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s hard to get excited over things you can’t have. Can hunt deer every year, ram is kinda untouchable 

Maybe so. I wouldn’t turn down a sheep tag. But big desert mule deer have always been my passion. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I can’t wait to find someone to help this year

• Like 1