Sign in to follow this  
Traveler

Post Rut Location

I scouted several Bachelor bucks that were hanging in the same spot until Mid December. I was hoping these boys would come back to the same are before Jan 31

Anybody tracked any bucks pre and post rut? Will they wait until the last yearling is bred in Feb?

Thanks

Dan

After the does are done cycleing, the bucks will go back to checking their scrapes for a while longer. There bodies are still full of testoserone so they are still territorial for a while. After they lose their racks, they will usually go back to their home areas. At least that is what I understand.

all does that have not been bred go into a second cycle but it only lasts for a couple of hours. I think. All of the bucks I've been seeing have been around groups of does with a couple of yearling does these last few weekends. I saw a mid-90inch buck on saturday. I ended up betweeen him and a couple of does and he did not want to leave their site. I had a 60-yd shot but only for a couple of seconds.

creed

Thanks for your experiences guys. I figured they would still be on the prowl for a while longer.

My experience in the higher elevations of 22/23 is the rut peaks hard around the week after christmas up until 2nd week in January then slows way down. This is up in the pine covered mountains areas.

Anyone else seen similiar patterns or contradictions?

Thanks

Dan

I'm wondering about: "all does that have not been bred go into a second cycle but it only lasts for a couple of hours."

I've never heard that the second cycle only last a few hours. What do the rest of you guys think?

Bowsniper

last weekend i was in 23.saw lots of deer. the coues does we seen were buy themselves. no bucks.but we seen 2 real nice carp deer bucks with their nose to the ground and on the move.did not see any mule deer does however.And i thought black bears hibernate during winter.but we saw 2 bears. kinda wierd i thought.Is the coues rut over yet?or just a bad coues buck day

It's kind of a long standing debate on how serious Arizona bears are about hibernating. The way I understand it is that when we get cold spells and snow the boars will sleep for a few days or weeks but when it warms up they will get up and stroll around feeding until another cold spell comes through. I guess it's an on again off again kind of thing. I think the sows that are pregenant or giving birth in their dens will pretty much stay put. It's been warm over the last week or so and there's probably a few bears out stretching their legs.