Sign in to follow this  
GHOSTLUVR

Kalyn's first elk.

Well, you met Kalyn in October when she killed her first deer. The replies really motivated her and kept the moment alive. At the end of that post, I mentioned that I had drawn a late 22N rifle tag and would be gifting it to her (one of AzGFD's best legislation thus far.) We live in the area and have hunted 22 our whole life with great success. However, things began to change this year. As you all have mentioned, the high number of hunters have greatly changed the pattern of the elk in the area. I scouted several weeks prior to the hunt as well as during the first late hunt. I soon realized that we were about to have one of our toughest hunts ever. I was reluctant to take Kalyn into our, "Honey Hole," as it is some of the roughest country in the unit. However, several days prior to the hunt, with hunters and gut piles in every other location, I made the decision to do just that. Opening day found us in the area, amazingly with no other hunters around! Kalyn and I were accompanied by two good friends, Justin and Paul. Within minutes after daybreak, Paul stated, "I've got a good bull!" The bull (a decent 6X6) was about 350 yards away and feeding. We moved to 300 yards and set Kalyn up. The location was less than ideal as well as the fact that Kalyn was freezing to death! I could see the muzzle of her gun shivering as was she. Not wanting to risk an unethical shot, we waited until the bull bedded down and moved, this time setting up about 250 yards from the bull. Kalyn sat in that location until dark with the bull never showing himself. I couldn't believe her patience! During that time we located another bull about 700 yards away. This bull had completely broken off his left side. We named the bull Left Turn (Jeff Dunham/Bubba J), because he had to be really off balance. The next morning, we were same time same place! At first light, we spotted Left Turn within 50 yards of where he had been the night before. All things happen for a reason! It was time to make a move. We were able to move to within 210 yards of the bull. The bull had bedded during our stalk and we were forced to wait over an hour for him to stand up. This time Kalyn was set up seated and using the tripod. The shot was 40 degrees downhill. Justin stated, "I think Left Turn is about to die!" Finally the bull stood up and once again, I stated, "Take your time baby!" BOOM!!! I've never seen a bull hit the ground so fast, and with a 140 grain bullet! Kalyn is incredible, and I would bet my next paycheck that she is the first 10 year old girl to make the hike that was necessary to get to that bull. On a side note, the 6X6 Paul had spotted the morning before was located bedded a short distance from where Left Turn fell. My brother Tim shot him a short time later. Congratulation Tim! A big thanks to Paul and Justin for their help. Hope they enjoyed it as much as me!

post-2030-1228953669_thumb.jpg

Thats awesome!! Congrats to you Kalyn!!

What caliber gun were you shooting?

My daughter turned 8 this year and I hope to be doing these exact thing with her within the next couple of years.

You Rock!!

Jeff

My daughter turned 8 this year and I hope to be doing these exact thing with her within the next couple of years.

You Rock!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

7mm-08 using a 140 grain Federal Premium ballistic tip!

Best of luck to your daughter.

You Rock!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

7mm-08 using a 140 grain Federal Premium ballistic tip!

Best of luck to your daughter.

7MM-08 :o they could not kill a cat off your back porch :(

What were you thinking letting a youth hunter shoot a gun like that:

Would not kick the dog crap out of her.

Have more than enough power to drop an Elk to 300

and shot flatter than a? say? 270 :o

:lol: :ph34r:

Great Job guys.

You made the right choice to go back in.

She will appreciate latter.

Glad she was right there with ya.

Nothing wrong with that Bull for a first, heck second (I wish I had the meat in the freezer, I'm out)

Kaylin,

GREAT job on making a good shot and clean kill.

That story made my day! :rolleyes: great job Kayln!

Ditto, That is the One hunt story I have been waiting for after reading your first story of her Coues. I have a seven year old Daughter that reads the stories with me everynight and thinks your daughter is the coolest. I would agree. A huge congratulations you Dad and especially to you Kalyn.

You have out done yourself this year girl. Congrats on a great bull. ;)