DesertBull

Are you kidding me?

Desertbull?

No! Don't give away your honey holes. Just sell them to nimrods from out of state.

http://www.desertbull.com/Unitinfopak.htm. Nice site by the way, but I do find it ironical that you would start this thread about free info, e-scouting ect, yet you sell the info. If I am in my secluded honeyhole, I will be just as pissed when Randy California shows up to my spot whether he got the info by e scouting or by paying you $100. By the way how are you fixed for 24B coordinates. Looking for a spot.

Bob

a unit might not give away a spot or anywhere close, but with alot of units in this state and alot of hunts it can definately lower your chances of drawing the tag, or others that hunt it. And i dont think anyone here can knock my not helpin good friends out or makin new buddies or being completely shut mouth with every one, considering some of the folks i have helped out this year.

Desertbull?

No! Don't give away your honey holes. Just sell them to nimrods from out of state.

http://www.desertbull.com/Unitinfopak.htm. Nice site by the way, but I do find it ironical that you would start this thread about free info, e-scouting ect, yet you sell the info. If I am in my secluded honeyhole, I will be just as pissed when Randy California shows up to my spot whether he got the info by e scouting or by paying you $100. By the way how are you fixed for 24B coordinates. Looking for a spot.

Bob

I would doubt he sells his spots, i do believe he sells scouting trips. I would be willing to bet he does not simply over load his personal spots with people. its as with any job, they pay for your time and he simply scouts areas for an alloted time reporting the finds and in no way guranteeing anything. Just as someone whom has the time or lives close would do. I dont see the issue pertaining quite so much. What business do you not get paid for your time?

I don't put it on here for 25,000 people to see... 24/7.

What if I did sell you a map or scouting trip and then put it on here for everyone to see. How would you feel?

Nice buck...what unit?

Nice buck...where did you get him?

Nice buck...that looks like unit XX near the spring off road "X", east of Mt "X"?

Most people don't have a problem helping you with general info on where to start looking, but come on. That is ridiculous. There is a feature on the website to have a private converstion if you wish to share that kind of specific info.

Sorry, had to vent.

:angry:

So I take it etiquette allows to ask "Where do I get a nice Buck? Where do I send the check?"

Dunno, maybe it just hit me funny but that bothers me worse than just asking. Commercialization of hunting is going to ruin it in the long run. Look at what happened when they started land-owner tags....

Let's say there are multiple 110" + bucks coming out of a single unit and everyone of the hunters posts

what unit on the web my bet is that unit gets hammered with new hunters the next year. So if your odds

are already slim in that unit then they will be even slimmer the next year. IMO....

The same can be said with honey holes within a unit.

Not to nit-pic.... but if you have never "stumbled" into a "Honey Hole"... then you don't spend as much time in the woods as the knot heads I knock around with.... :lol: ;) I grew up in the woods... and have even forgot places that I have been and had to re-find them from child hood memories.... guess I am gettin' old. :rolleyes: I'd say personally 50/50 on my Favorite spots to hunt.... are personal finds vs. suggestions or huntin' with a Buddy. I only share my Fav spots with guys I can trust..... Junkies, like me, that trust me with there secrets as well.... ;) I, as a matter o' fact, think askin' a guy where he killed something is like askin' a lady how old she is..... but that is just how I was raised. ;)

Good post Gino. That sums up my feelings as well!

Well, if a guy wants to ask... let him ask. If a guy wants to answer or not its up to him. Don't get offended if someone is curious about what unit it was shot in. Just politely say "you know, I'd rather keep that to myself". Shoot if a guy really wants to know what unit animals came out of, all he has to do is go back to the posts from June where everybody announces what units they drew. 90% of us tell in June, whats the big secret come Dec.????? To each his own I guess. Also, I was just giving DesertBull a hard time in my last post, if he wants to sell his scouting time, its his decision and theres nothing wrong with it. It is however a little funny to be starting a thread like this considering the fact that you do sell info, then complain because guys ask about a simple unit number.

Donnie

I find myself asking "what unit" alot, but I never have the intention of going to hunt there. I think it's just a natural question for most people. The units are so big, even if someone does respond to the question, it's pretty worthless information anyway.

Merry CHRISTmas Everyone!

Mark

How is it that hunter numbers are dwindling across the country, we're surrounded by the rhetoric of "We've got to stick together" stuff, more and more rules are being imposed and rights taken away, and someone wants to get bent out of shape over people asking about what unit a buck was taken in? Tell them! Let them know, heck tell them the gps coordinates too while your at it. I'd be really surprised if your honey hole got destroyed after that. Western big game hunting is dynamic, and people pressure is only one of the many factors that make a spot what it is. Plus, they still have to secure the tag to begin with. Sure, more people putting in for the same area drops the odds of success, but that only means that success odds will increase in other areas. If we stop thinking about hunters in the context of community and instead treat everyone as the competition, it'll be all the more easy for anti-hunting activists to continue what they've started. "We must hang together or else we'll be hung separately." How about you make some friends and invite them along to your secret spots? How about getting a child or a woman interested in hunting? These are surely better pursuits than being deflated over someone asking where a buck was taken. Especially when the information is available for a price afterall.

I guess that I agree with bowsniper and donnident on this topic.

First Mark's point; The hunting units are HUGE! Telling someone you killed a trophy in a particular unit really doesn't give them any info that is useful over & above what they could get out of the G&F regulations anyway...

Secondly though, I agree with donnident; What is the harm in someone asking??? :blink: Don't answer the question if you don't want to. It's that simple... ;)

S.

:)

This had a been a pet peeve of mine too on these types of forums. I like visiting them for ideas on tips and techniques...not as to where you are killing animals. If people want to tell you where they are hunting they will tell you in their initial write-up.

You know coues hunters already have the reputation of being the snobs of the hunting world in the first place. Other hunters look and some of our conversations calling mule deer "carp" and such and just don't understand. 90% of hunters would just be happy taking a animal weather it is a coues, mule deer, or what ever species they are hunting.

Then add in getting bent out of shape if you simply ask what unit. My gosh, people are not asking what canyon, what mountain range etc. How secretive can we get. Are we going to start keeping caliber, season, hunting partner secret as well. I have never asked what unit in a thread simply because I have MY favorite units, and family/friends to hunt in and with.

I guess I think most people look at hunting as a hobby and would just be happy hunting in country they like with people they enjoy being with. Thats what influences me and were I turn in to hunt. Not looking at a discussion forum and letting that influence my actions. I have been around enough to know that there are great deer all over the state in every unit. I understand "trophy units and higher deer densities" but I think most hunters just want the opportunity to hunt and take a deer, size is just a bonus.

Thats how I go about deciding where I put in......... maybe I am just strange.