GameHauler

Word screening

Amanda, I see you have added a word screening to the forum.

Good choice ;)

I just sent Coues'n'Sheep a PM and it blocked a word.

Thats fine if you want to leave it intact for the PM's also.

Just wanted to let you know it is doing it there as well.

Mike

Bah HaHaHaHa! Ha! :lol: :P

She put that in there for Dirty, Old, Foul B*%$#@ds like you!!!! :P :P :P

:wacko: :wacko: :lol: :P ;)

I haven't added anything new in terms of profanity filters recently. You must just not swear very often, even in PMs. ;) I don't even know if the forum allows us to have one filter for PMs and one for the main forum.

But while we are on the subject, I sure would appreciate it if people not only didn't use profanity, but also didn't use the symbol substitutions (demonstrated so well by CouesNSheep in prior post, which by the way, I find amusing, but some just do not) as alternative ways to use profanity. I get complaints about it and the symbol substitution seems to be getting more common around here. It's kind of absurd to ban profanity but allow the symbol substitution stuff, so that's why I am asking to please just avoid profanity all together. Keep in mind we have families with kids that like to get on here. I sure appreciate everyone's cooperation and help with this.

Amanda

BAH Ha Ha Ha Ha! Ha!

You got scolded :P

Not really, VERY GOOD POINT Amanda.

I have seen an increase also.

I am pretty sure I have used a word to describe last nights dinner

in a PM before without it being changed to (shoot)

Now Gino, you Not so young B-log (symbol Amanda?) :unsure:

Shut your long johns buttons as you are talking out your Donkey :o

:rolleyes:

:P

I have to chime in on this thread.

I know it is not a big deal at all but a couple of members and I have discussed this topic a little bit and we all have the same opnions.

I (we) are not really fans of the censorship that has been introduced lately. I know the moderators work hard to keep this site as 'clean' as possible. But, this is a hunting, camping, shooting, fishing site. Swear words happen every so often. IMO, as long as every other word isn't a swear word I think it is ok. Obviously, "F" bombs, and directly using the words to offend or attack someone are not acceptable.

I know it is not a big deal at all but a couple of members and I have discussed this topic a little bit and we all have the same opnions.

I (we) are not really fans of the censorship that has been introduced lately. I know the moderators work hard to keep this site as 'clean' as possible. But, this is a hunting, camping, shooting, fishing site. Swear words happen every so often. IMO, as long as every other word isn't a swear word I think it is ok. Obviously, "F" bombs, and directly using the words to offend or attack someone are not acceptable.

Half the words that get the dull ax on here aren't swear words at all.. Blatant use of vulgar profanity is a given nuke, but censorship of little meaningless adjectives that are used by almost everyone in their daily lives is a whole other thing entirely.. I'll back you up Casey.. And probably get blasted for it!!

Isn't that right, Effenjeff!!!

Half the words that get the dull ax on here aren't swear words at all.. Blatant use of vulgar profanity is a given nuke, but censorship of little meaningless adjectives that are used by almost everyone in their daily lives is a whole other thing entirely.. I'll back you up Casey.. And probably get blasted for it!!

Isn't that right, Effenjeff!!!

Not Blasting either of you but I guess it is different generations

and how society has changed and will again.

Casey you do not have children and Scotty yours is to young for this to affect you yet.

This is THE BEST hunting site for family's and children. but it is getting worse with the words.

My girls are now old enough that I stop them at least once in a conversation to tell them I do not want to her THAT word out of my BABIES mouth.

My parents never swore but I do.

My parents never drank but I do.

My parents never did allot of things I did/do but I respect them and to this day do not swear in front of them and even thow they knew, I did not smoke in front of them till I was in my mid 20's

We can all express the exact same thing without changing letters or using symbols.

And yes I have done it on here with this being one example (HE!!)

heck, everyone knows what I meant, including a 10 year old.

Now Scotty my "ARSE" is in the ringer not yours

PS. It BOTHERS me if in a store or what ever and I hear someone say that F'N did F'N that to that Female dog because He is nothing more than a SMALL swimming tadpole looking for a place to Propagate.

BLAST ME

And bring on the hate mail

MIKE

THANK YOU Mike for speaking up for the parents of children that are of an impressionable age that read this site. It is true that they will learn those things all to soon, but we can at least get them started off on the right foot in the use of the English language, like we try to get them started off on the right foot on hunting safety, ethics and skills.

Not Blasting either of you but I guess it is different generations

and how society has changed and will again.

Casey you do not have children and Scotty yours is to young for this to affect you yet.

This is THE BEST hunting site for family's and children. but it is getting worse with the words.

My girls are now old enough that I stop them at least once in a conversation to tell them I do not want to her THAT word out of my BABIES mouth.

My parents never swore but I do.

My parents never drank but I do.

My parents never did allot of things I did/do but I respect them and to this day do not swear in front of them and even thow they knew, I did not smoke in front of them till I was in my mid 20's

We can all express the exact same thing without changing letters or using symbols.

And yes I have done it on here with this being one example (HE!!)

heck, everyone knows what I meant, including a 10 year old.

Now Scotty my "ARSE" is in the ringer not yours

PS. It BOTHERS me if in a store or what ever and I hear someone say that F'N did F'N that to that Female dog because He is nothing more than a SMALL swimming tadpole looking for a place to Propagate.

BLAST ME

And bring on the hate mail

MIKE

Mike, unless you typed the bolded word in as "heck" and not "HE!!" then you are a prime example of exactly what I am talking about. What I consider some what innocent words happen in every day speech.

You guys all have valid points, I agree that some words that get changed or nuked are not swear words in the adult world, but to a child it's different! That's why we try to keep this site "cleaner" than any other.......we have a lot of young members here and are trying to be respectful of them and help them enjoy this site as much as we do. Almost everytime I log on here i have to change words around, I'm not very strict with it, I let quite a bit slide, but it would be so much easier if everyone just kept it clean. If you do feel the need to use swear words just head over to one of the "other" sites and let it out.......then come back over here ;) Thanks for helping us keep this a "family-friendly" site! JIM>

Oh Wow,,,,,,, Where to start,,,,,, :(

I usually try not to get in on subjects that might offend anyone, but this one has been brought to my attention and my opinion requested! And I am a true believer that the truth hurts, and if you are offended then it is your own fault!

SO I'm not gonna beat around the bush and just lay it out straight up!

First of all "It is a weak man who cannot control his tongue". And even weaker who cannot control his typing fingers. There really is no place in our language for cussing other than a weak mind and vocabulary that cannot express itself any other way. Some people sound so stupid when they F their F'n F's that you just feel sorry for them.

Sorry but the comment about "this is an outdoor site, and outdoorsmen cuss, and so we should just all be allowed to be a bunch swearing rednecks as we type" is the saddest comment I've heard in a while. Really now, Is that the picture you have in your mind of "the perfect outdoorsmen". That reminds me of the guy I saw the other day with his son on a youth hunt. He was drinking and driving dangerous mountain roads with lots of other traffic. And then he grabbed the gun in one hand and with his beer in the other hand he led his son up a small hill next to the road to look for deer. I could hear his loud foul mouth from where I sat. How sad it was to see what that young boy was being taught. So for your information NO that is not the definition of an "Outdoorsmen" .

Yes, there are children on this site! Lots of them! And I'm sorry if you think it is OK to cuss in front of children but it is NOT! Don't try to justify it. Its Not.

I am not saying that I never swear. I try my hardest not to, and except for the rare hammer on the thumb or dropping a slice of Christmas pie on the floor I don't swear at all. And even if I slip one out I feel like an idiot and apologize for it. BUT I just don't understand why, when someone is typing on a computer, why they wouldn't just take the time to type Something Else. And then, to go out of their way to type all the "!$^#&^" like it somehow makes it better. Can you not refrain just out of common courtesy, and respect ?

That is what should describe the Outdoorsmen, Courtesy and Respect!

That is what describes a Real Man, Why not an Outdoorsmen.

And I cant believe that nothing has been said about swearing in from of Women!!!!!!!! It is NOT OK! If you missed that one growing up then I am sorry. But here it is for you now, learn it and apply it!

And when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter if you don't believe in being kind and respectful. Bottom line is that this is Amanda's site!! (Who happens to be a woman!) And Amanda says "NO SWEARING ON THIS SITE!!!!!!" If you cant handle that, then just don't touch the keys and keep it to yourself! I cant believe that there even has to be a program to control the cuss words! Do we really need to be babysat that way? If you can have the mind power to sit behind binoculars for hours glassing for Coues Then you could surly refrain from typing/spelling out cuss words on a computer.

And bla bla bla I could go on for hours.... But if you haven't caught on by now your hopeless. And just by reading this I hope in the future that every time you cuss you think about this post ;)

Did I mention that the Bottom Line Is That This Is Amanda's Site And She Says NO SWEARING- AND NO !$#^$* TO REPLACE YOUR SWEAR WORDS!!!!!!! And I cant believe anyone would even argue that!

This is the best hunting site on the internet Amanda! Thank you for your efforts in keeping it that way! I know that I speak for the majority of the people on this site when I say that we back you 110% on this one! And keep up the good work!

Lance and Carrie Crowther

And Family!

Lance,

Where to begin?

First of all, I NEVER said that a "perfect outdoorsman" HAS to cuss.. Take a poll, 95% (if not more) of people who enjoy outdoor activities use a swear word every now and then(both, male and female). Now, if you are above swearing, and if you never do it then great for you. I do. Does that make me less of a 'man' or less of a 'outdoorsman'. Nope. And if you or anyone else thinks so, good for you. Opnions are open to everyone.

Second of all, to me and my family/friends he!! and dam are not swear words. Believe it or not, I have heard the most hard core Christians (both female and male) use those above mention words! GASP!!!

Now, the 'guy' who you mentioned drinking/driving/hunting.. That is just ridiclious! That is not acceptable. Period.

And never did I say we should be able to cuss like a bunch of dumb, swearing rednecks. Do you realize how many people on here you have just called a swearing redneck? Wow. Talk about stepping on some toes!

Anyways, I am done writing. I am going to enjoy my mid-day cocktail and listen to some Chris LeDoux, maybe some Bochepus, and a little Marty Robbins.

Oh, and BTW, I have heard PLENTY of high class women (including our fearless leader) mumble a few curse words. hmmmm.....

Those that have been around a camp fire with me know that I can sometimes have a VERY foul mouth. Like most, I suppose.... As far as foul language on this site though, I try to limit it quite a lot. Primarily for the reasons that Amanda has pointed-out above.

I don't really see this as a censorship issue though. This is not a public forum (as much as it might seem like it....). It is a private place that Amanda started, and she obviously has the right to set the tone she wants. To me it is more a matter of respect. We all know the type of site that Amanda is trying to run here, and I personally don't find it very hard to limit my foul language. It reminds me of when I go see my mom, mother in law, or sister, or someone like that. I'm NOT going to use foul language for the few hours I might be with her cuz I know she wouldn't not appreciate it. That's how I look at this place....

All that being said, I can definitely appreciate the fact that at the end of the day this is a hunting website, and there is plenty of times when the extra color in the written words help GREATLY to make the desired point. It's always going to be that way, and I think Amanda realistically knows this....

S.

:)